Re: [icann-eu] Agenda for ALM meeting in Melbourne

These are good issues for a meeting in Melbourne.  They are also good
topics for the ALM study.

We might be able to use the At Large Study process as a framework for our
work.  We could write something on the following topics:

1. Decision Mechanisms
Does consensus work for the At Large, or do we need elections?  That is an
important question for the At Large.  We could summarize the issues in a
report.
	Frankly, it might be interesting to try an experiment somewhere.  Maybe
different regions could try different mechanisms in some future election.

2. Editorial Board
A group could initiate a discussion with the ICANN staff about control of
the mailing list.  A brief memo summarizing the issues would be interesting.

3. Funding
I am not (yet) optimistic about funding.  But I do have some ideas here:
--> maybe ccTLD registries could fund member participation.
	Korea has done this, apparently with some success.  As I understand it,
KR-NIC needed an active Local Internet Community to head off any attempt of
government control.  KR-NIC had a strong incentive to organize users and to
subisidize their travel to meetings.  The same conditions might hold in
other countries.

Does anyone want to get involved?  I am interested in the third topic
above, the ALM-LIC-ccTLD relationship.  I would be willing to work with
others to prepare something here.

Anyone else interested in topics?

Cheers,
Hans