Re: [icann-eu] CALL FOR PAPERS: Global Democracy and the ICANN Elections

Hi Roberto,

Roberto Gaetano wrote on 27.03.01, 13:51:06,
quoting Hans Klein:
>>.....  Although
>>many observers acknowledge that regional and global institutions like the
>>World Trade Organization, the International Monetary Fund, and the European
>>Union make values-based decisions affecting the lives of people around the
>>world, there is considerable disagreement about how to render those
>>institutions and their decisions more legitimate.
>
> I beg your pardon?
>
> Can you point me to any source of the "considerable disagreement about how
> to render [the European Union] and [its] decisions more legitimate"?

There is certainly nothing anti-European in finding
that there is an extensive debate about EU legitimacy
deficits -- there are literally volumes of research.
Even the Commission admits on its web site that there
is an "imbalance between the existing state-based
legitimacy and the democratic legitimacy which the public
expects".

> Maybe you would like to spend a couple of words instead on the legitimity of
> US Government to take decisions that affect the Internet users worldwide!

That's where we agree again. The EP statement (thanks
for the pointer, Vittorio!) was clear on this.

Best regards,
/// Alexander

  ICANN Channel              http://www.icannchannel.de