[icann-eu] Re: [ga-icann] ICANN policy on record keeping

Joanna and all,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> Whereas the ICANN archive at
> http://www.icann.org/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm comprises three
> distinct elements, each posted on a different day, but noted as posted
> together on 28 May 2001:-
>
> 1) Discussion Draft: A Unique, Authoratitive Root for the DNS, posted 28 May
> 2001.
>
> 2) Note to the ICANN Community by Stuart Lynn, posted 29 May 2001.
>
> 3) Public Comment Forum, posted 1 June 2001 (?)
>
> Whereas between May 28 2001 and June 1 2001, many comments about item
> numbered 1 above were posted by members of the ICANN community to various
> official DNSO mailing lists, also published by other media in the public
> domain.
>
> It is therefore apparent that the historical context in which some comments
> are made by the community cannot be relied upon.

  Indeed this is true.  As we have seen lately from VRSN/NSOL and now
Stewart Lynn.

> For the purposes of historical accuracy, and the avoidance of doubt that
> ICANN may tamper retrospectively with substantive documents in its own
> archive, I call upon members of the GA to urge ICANN to note all updates as
> and when they are made to specific URLs for all to see.

  This has recently happened with the VRSN/NSOL Domain-Policy archives.
It has also occurred with comments@icann.org some time ago as well as
the
gTLD-MoU Mailing list archives as well...  Hence from the beginning of
this
and all other DNSO Mailing lists, I have been keeping an archive as well
as an archive of all Admin and other private E-Mails from known
DNSO participants and NC members.  I have an internal Database
for these ML's with a very nice search facility as well...