Re: [icann-europe] Re: [ecdiscuss] ICANN to require contract from .eu registry

Karl and all,

Karl Kramer wrote:

> Date sent:              Mon, 01 Apr 2002 01:21:24 -0800
> From:                   Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
>
> > And in a number of countries US TM's
> > are not recognized as legal registered TM'
>
> Would'nt You do something else than laughting loud
> over an Office that exepts words like "Door" as Trademarks?
> How long will it take until Peoples in the USA have to say:
> "Close  the <Things with Glas in it>,
>   I don`t want that Smell <not outside> my <place where I live>!" ?  :-))

  Good point here, and I agree.  TM law in the us does provide for the
disallowment of "Common Terms" as TM's.  However those terms
that are considered "Common" is always changing.  Also in US
TM law, which I am quite familiar with BTW, required that TM holder
to defend his or here TM, not the government.

> I suggested it the other way round:
> only the one who has the Domainname should have that Trademark
> with the .tld as a Part of it.

  I agree with you here.  However this does not cover the "Common Mark"
portion of many TM law systems very well.

> Agencies that are unable to register realtime
> should be banned from registering Domainnames or Trademarks
> and for sure: Agencies that accept established common Words
> for/as "new" Trademarks should also be aware to pay for the cancelation.

  Good idea, but not practical or implimentable I am afraid...  :(

> That .com was under the first TLD's does not mandantary mean that
> it was a good Idea to have anything else than Nation-Shortcuts as TLD.
> <humor>

  Also true, but that's history now.

> What would have happend if  .TV would have had stand for TeleVision
> from the Start of DNS, or .DE for DigitalEngineering?

  I doubt that we shall ever know the answer to this question...

> Every not-nation-code TLD is a potential Conflict with nation-codes
> that might come, who shall have the Priority to name a Nation?
> </humor>

  The nation itself.

> For sure: I want my Name as my Global Trademark,
> but guess how many People have the same Idea
> and wish http://KRAMER would be all what is needed
> to reach THEM (not me) on the Web.
> And many of them might be the only one Millions
> of People think about first when they hear "Kramer".
> So that there is a Wish, or even a Tradion, does not mandantory mean
> that something like .com makes any Sense.

  .COM stands for commercial.  And that makes some sense.  As
to whether it should have been used and a TLD at this time is
really not available for argument.  What is, is should more gTLD's
be created, and what type.

> Regards,
>
>      Karl
>
> --

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827