Re: [atlarge-discuss] Members' rights

Joop and all stakeholders or interested parties,

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> For the Charter
>
> Section Members' Rights
>
> General.
>
> 1. All paid-up members  have the right to nominate candidates for elective
> or appointive office.
> 2. All paid-up members  have the right to vote in all Polls and Elections.
> 3. All paid-up members  have the right to make motions and second motions
> in assemblies or committees.

  These three are non-starters I think.  You cannot expect to gain members
by first requiring them to pay to be a member in order to vote.  That's a
poll tax for god's sake!  In the US they banished this stupid stuff
many many years ago.  I nearly a fudel concept!  :(

> 4. (to promote participation)
> Members who fail to vote in 3 subsequent Polls or Elections lose the right
> to make Motions.

  No, this is a also a very bad idea as well.

> Members who have not voted in 6 subsequent Polls are put on notice that
> they have to re-apply for the Voters' Roll.

  Also a very bad idea here too.  I unduly burdens members and discourages
new members from continuing to be members or participation...

> 5. (to promote member-support.)
> Paid-up Members are members who are not more than 6 months behind on their
> membership dues.

  This is a pretty good idea here.  Well, one our of 5.  Pretty bad here
Joop...

> Section Members' Duties
>
> General.
>
> 1. Members must support their organization.

  Why?  Is this a loyalty clause or test???  Bad idea here...

> 1.a. Membership dues.
> 2. Members must not work against their organization.

  Also a not a good idea here Joop.  Usually members should not
do so, yes.  But there are times that a member must stand up for
what he or she believes is the right thing that would be against the
organization.

> 2.a. Expulsion rules
> 3. (to promote diversity and participation)
> Members who declare in writing to the membership committee that they are
> unable to meet the membership fee will have the same rights and duties as
> paid-up members.

  Agreed here...

> --Joop

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827