RE: [atlarge-discuss] Comments Invited on Election Details

I am persuaded to withdraw my suggestion to extend the panel deadline for
holding elections and respond below to Richard's request for feedback on the
actual process. (cclist removed to save bandwidth - I'm sure panel members
are reading the discuss list)

Regards,
Joanna

<snip>
> : > 1. date of election
> : >
> : > + July 23rd-27th

Using ICANN DNSO Voting processes as a measuring stick, ballots are always
held over a period of 7 days, not 5 days, so I suggest starting this July
21st. While this is holiday season in some parts of the world, it is not so
for others.

> : > + ask membership for extension of mandate and then when?

No, but I would urge all panel members to stand for re-election as well as
inviting new candidates to compete.

> : >
> : > YOUR COMMENTS:
> : >
> : > 2. Technical administration of election
> : >
> : > + suggestions for which system to use
> : > + security issues

Do we know if the DNSO Secretariat is willing to assist again? This is a
trusted system that works well for formal ballots that require secret
voting. Subsequent concerns expressed by myself and others about not
releasing the membership list to third parties (ICann Staff specifically)
were refuted by Elizabeth, so it seems that apart from ensuring the Staff
are removed from any Monitoring position, the security of the voting roster
can be protected.

Alternatively, a proprietary, web interface system selected by the interim
panel would be better than an open mailing list ballot.

> : >
> : > YOUR COMMENTS:
> : >
> : > 3. Verification
> : >
> : > + who to act as monitors?

If we go with the DNSO Secretariat again, I am on the Watchdog list and
would be willing to validate this ballot. However, I do not believe it is
appropriate for Kent Crispin to retain his position as Watchdog, since he is
now a member of ICANN Staff.

I will reply to other aspects by separate post in due course.