Re: [atlarge-discuss] Outreach : brainstorming ideas and looking for responses

I would disagree Esther, my question for you is "the work that you and
others have done to date indicates that all you will be successful with
going forward is more of the same???" - because I don't agree or think you
have a prayer at this point.

The issue is that you folks failed to date to build anything reliable out of
this infrastructure and that to date the amount of  hysteresis**
(http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/sethna/hysteresis/WhatIsHysteresis.html) in
the infrastructure is causing so much noise that it obfuscates the vision
from the outside.

What needs to happen is that we need to cut a deal with the registrars such
that their registrants are opted-in unless they specifically say no... This
is not about enticing to join, its about joining up the next 100,000 people
who hit the registrars as members and making it work.Outreach is for prisons
and the like. We need something much more aggressive... Any way we can get
the UN to just declare every living human to be a member? that's the kind of
start I am looking for.

--------

By the way - you folks might want to know that I submitted a draft to the
IETF to add "Area Code" type root-zone names to the DNS Service Structure.
This one single act will open tens of billions of Domain Names for
registrars and will solve in one fell swoop, the Intellectual Property
issues facing domain name owners in that there can then be any number of any
one domain name.

Many of the Old-school DNS Crowd out  of RFC1033/1034 days will recoil at
this - the Internet is supposed to have nothing but unique addresses on
it... And it does - only they are called IP addresses and there is only one
of them within any physical network or internet context. But as to the DNS
issues facing Registrars globally, we have to ask fundamentally does this
also mean that DNS should likewise be limited to this one instance of name
and my answer is that DNS was originally defined for a much smaller target
audience and as such it has short comings when being applied at the
planetary level...

The real win for you Board Members and other interested parties is in:

    1)    The adoption of this model or one like it to radically increase
the number of domain instances (see also #3 below for interop issues)

    2)    The redeployment of the Global DNS Network Resolution Model  as
per the model defined in #1, so that "some of the new domain contexts can
have only one domain name in them, and those that do, will preclude the rest
of the worlds use thereof." This includes the "Word Based" Root-ZONES  that
have only one TLD within it. This is how a URL that was something like:

http://www.cocacola.com

becomes

http://[global]CocaCola or perhaps http://[tm]Coca-Cola

But more importantly is that in a Multi-Zone area like the US and other
super powers would be, that this allows for multiple instances of DOT COM,
say http://www.jones.com can now exist in each separate zone and refer to
different end-node addresses... which means that with this plan, there can
be more than one Jones.COM...

Many people may say "why" to this, since they are still laboring under the
concept that this is one global network (networld) but most of us that have
looked at Merit.EDU all know its not and with the impending need to support
the concept of eBorders for national security this all makes perfect sense.

    3)    The building of an Internet Root Zone bridge, a set of well known
addresses and conversion services that act as the bridge between the various
Zone Spaces.

    4)    The re-ignition of the Search Engines on the new Internet-II
naming topology.

My take is that there are still many unanswered question regarding global
DNS but that this plan at least opens many more options and especially
honors that there may be any number of roots on this planet and that ICANN
is the layer of interoperability between them.

Otherwise, I would suggest that ICANN has outlived its usefulness and needs
to be disbanded in favor of national operation of the Internet. This will
also force the UN to take a more aggressive stance in managing the
interoperability of the various zones.

Todd