Re: [atlarge-discuss] Outreach : brainstorming ideas and looking for responses

On Monday 17 June 2002 16:14, todd glassey wrote:

> Many people may say "why" to this, since they are still laboring under the
> concept that this is one global network (networld) but most of us that have
> looked at Merit.EDU all know its not and with the impending need to support
> the concept of eBorders for national security this all makes perfect sense.

Your proposal doesn't make any sense to me.

The whole purpose of a distributed name system is enhancing the transparency
of the system not impeding it. We would prefer to give the network a single
system image. That's why TCP/IP is so simple that it can run on your wrist
watch. I would like that URI to remain a URI for heaven's sake.

A more scalable and usable name system is *of course* possible, but your
proposal doesn't seem to be in this vein.

That far is technical. Making the crucial subsystems on the Net more
controllable by those at power is something I disdain. What on earth does a
name system have to do with "national security"? That's non-sense.

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza