From: "Eray Ozkural" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
To: "todd glassey" <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net>; "Esther Dyson"
<edyson@edventure.com>
Cc: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>; "atlarge discuss
list" <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Outreach : brainstorming ideas and looking
for responses

> On Monday 17 June 2002 16:14, todd glassey wrote:
> >
> > Many people may say "why" to this, since they are still laboring under
the
> > concept that this is one global network (networld) but most of us that
have
> > looked at Merit.EDU all know its not and with the impending need to
support
> > the concept of eBorders for national security this all makes perfect
sense.

> Your proposal doesn't make any sense to me.

I can tell.

> The whole purpose of a distributed name system is enhancing the
transparency
> of the system not impeding it. We would prefer to give the network a
single
> system image.

No the security of the SSI would be impossible to implement. But you refer
to it as "the network" and its not that at all. Its many networks, not just
one. That is the whole conceptual problem with the "Internet", that it was
spawned from the Arpanet and its not per se. The Arpanet was a totally
different animal, and was an enclosed and very size constrained world.

Taking the tools that were barely functional for managing it and were proven
to be cumbersome in managing its follow on NSFnet, and putting them into
service with the global Internet was mode that silly it in my humble opinion
was stupid.

> That's why TCP/IP is so simple that it can run on your wrist
> watch.

Dick Tracy time?

>  I would like that URI to remain a URI for heaven's sake.

Why? - what you are saying is that for no technical reason, you want the
names to remain as they are, just that you do...

This implies then that making name space equal for all who use it is not
something that you want to see happen. Or the issues about IP's and the
collissions between trademarks and Domain Names resolved, or is that  not
something you are interested in? If this is the case then would it also be
true that approve of a world where there are only unique addresses.  No
matter how long they are...

See then I have to ask - Phone numbers, they have been a problem all your
life, right?

> A more scalable and usable name system is *of course* possible, but your
> proposal doesn't seem to be in this vein.

Sure it is. Its exactly that - the creation of multiple and selectable root
zones. This allows for the replication of name space any number of times and
makes the DNS resolution process a two step one. First determine the correct
set of zones, and then the address. If the address is in the default zone,
then there is no difference.

Tools like Verisign's new BIND replacement, ATLAS makes this kind of thing
more attractive since changes and zones could be rolled within their 6
second minimum for ATLAS.

> That far is technical. Making the crucial subsystems on the Net more
> controllable by those at power is something I disdain.

So then you will write the check?

>What on earth does a
> name system have to do with "national security"? That's non-sense.

You dont get it. You still think that this is one network. Wake up and smell
the coffee. This is a very violent and evil world we live in and the sooner
we get over this phase of our existence as a race, the better - but in the
Interim, eBorders are a thing that will happen... whether any of us like it
or not.

Todd Glassey