[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [nc-transfer] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal

Oliver and all assembly members, stakeholders, or other interested parties,

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:17:10 -0700
> > From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
> > Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [nc-transfer] Re:
> [ncdnhc-discuss] WLS  proposal
>
> [...]
>
> >   No one including Leah is advocating the the use of the Whois database
> > for basic lookups on Domain names Don.  What is being objected to
> > again is the fact that new proposed legislation to which Barbara
> > previously provided, is considering making it a felony if a registrant
> > does not provide their personal and private physical address when
> > registering a Domain name as part of that legislation.  This would
> > now doubt, endanger a person's safety, engender more specific
> > types of fraud, possibly and likely give terrorists, stalkers, and
> > other undesirables an easy source for their horrifying and
> > dangerous activities, and in doing so, jeopardize the general
> > safety of all of us registrants on a global scale.
>
>  Okay, so how about this for a possible solution:
>
> 1. the proposed legislation still stands
>
> 2. the applicant has a choice to have his/her details published in the
> WHOIS database. ie. OPT IN/OPT OUT
>
> 3. When a whois enquiry is made on an unpublished domain listing,
> the information returned is of the type:
> "The owner of this domain has opted out of the WHOIS database.
> To contract the domain owner, please e-mail  contactname@contactdomain.com "
> (where this effectively provides the Postmaster's address at that domain)

  Even this is not necessary.  The Admin Contact information is all
that needs to be required, and that that Admin contact information,
to include E-Mail address of the Admin contact, the Address of the
Admin Contact, and a valid Phone Number contact for that
Admin contact should be listed in the Whois lookup for any
Domain Name.

> 4. law enforcement agencies have the right of access to the whole database
>
> 5. the registrar maintaining the database has no rights to market the
> database
> itself to any third party, nor do they have the right to use the database
> for
> data mining, demographic data, promotional e-mails, etc.
>
> 6. Each domain needs to have a technical contact, which can be set to
> the domain name holder's phone number should they be okay with this,
> or with the registrar's phone number, who will pass the enquiry on
> accordingly,
> if required.
>
> With the above solution we AVOID:
>
> a. paedophiles finding out details of a child's address when they hold a
> domain
> b. stalkers who want to find out "real" details of a web site owner
> c. terrorists finding out the address of a web site's publisher
> d. terrorists/hate groups publishing offending information on the Internet
> with
> no law enforcement agency being able to find out their source
> e. spammers spamming out from a legitimate domain without anybody being
> able to be in touch with them
> f. taking away WHOIS priviledges from anybody
> g. not being able to get in touch with a domain name holder if a FOOBAR
> takes
> place on their network and floods our own network
>
> The fact that the legislation still stands means that Mr. Ousama Bin Laden
> (or pick your favourite equivalent scumbag/dictator/despot/terrorist) cannot
> register a domain to flood the world with his junk without anybody being
> able
> to get in touch with them.  I am taking an extreme example, but this stands
> for
> pornographic sites, gambling sites, etc. etc.
>
> --
> Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond, Ph.D. |--> Global Information Highway Limited
> E-mail:<ocl@gih.com> | Tel:+44 (0)7956 84 1113 | Fax:+44 (0)20 7937 7666
> Web: http://www.gih.com/ & http://www.nsrc.org/codes/country-codes.html

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827