From: "Micheal Sherrill" <micheal@beethoven.com>
To: "Hugh Blair" <hblair@hotfootmail.com>; <eric@hi-tek.com>
Cc: "atlarge discuss list" <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>; "gen full"
<ga-full@dnso.org>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [nc-transfer] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss]
WLSproposal

> Hello Todd and Eric:
>
> SPAM, I think we all agree, is the scourge of the Internet.  I think we
all agree, as well, that the Whois, postings, and online forums are mined
for potential hits by SPAMers.  However, we have a saying here in California
that we do not want to throw out the baby with the bath water.  Which means,
that we may be discarding more than we think when we try to get rid of
something we do not want.  In this case, the Whois is not only a source of
SPAM but it is also used to fight SPAM.  If we get rid of the Whois we will
still have SPAM and, greatly reduced resources to track it and fight it.

> But, I do agree that making it a felony to not correctly report a physical
address for a domain name is Draconian.  It is poorly written legislation
that should go back for some revisement.

> What we need to do, I think, is make SPAM illegal, period.  SPAM should be
a federal and international violation.  Do not hide from it by eliminating
the Whois.  Have the Whois find the SPAMers and send them to jail, instead.

> Regards,
>

> Micheal Sherrill

> From: eric@hi-tek.com
> Date:  Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:12:46 -0700
>
> Hugh,
> This is a great service and I believe that nowadays it is a good idea.
> We found ourselves sitting in a Federal Courthouse explaining to a judge
that
> @hi-tek.com only meant that we hosted an email account and had nothing to
do with
> what our client did with domain names.  It cost about five grand in
attorneys
> fees, and we did all the talking because nobody with a law degree seemed
> understand email. That was 98-99 and I think we have come a long way.
>
> Whois, Transfers and WLS are issues created as revenue sources for
Verisign.
> We definitely need to organize some consumer groups to guard our rights.
And I