Re: [atlarge-discuss] VB on elections for ICANN board members

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Eric,
>
> The At-Large Panel had an MoU with the Community that enumerated 6 specific
> tasks:
>
> Their mandate was limited to:
>
> 1. guiding an outreach campaign to grow the membership.  They have failed
> miserably in this endeavor.

I tried to aid in this by creating outreach banners.  I asked for ideas on
slogans.  I can't really say I got much supprt from my fellow panel members
except Richard Henderson.  I got a fe responses from the membership, but again,
there was generally very little in the way of criticism, constructive or
otherwise...

> 2. putting together within two months Bylaws proposals to be voted on by the
> membership.  It hasn't been done.

I formulated and reformulated a Mission Statement and got practically no feedback
on it from both my fellow panel members or the membership.

> 3. establishing a secure voting system.   This hasn't been done, and they are
> at the mercy of the DNSO Secretariat for ongoing services.

Early on, I reminded my fellow panel members that this was a priority as without
a voting mechanism we could not have a vote.  Indeed, except for Richard, James
and myself, it almost appears as if the four remaining panel members were not
overly concerned with this predicament.  Just last week I called on my fellow
panel members to commit to a timeframe for the next election, all I got in
response was more noncommittal spin from our Chair and co-chair.

> 4. arranging for the election of their successor Panel by July 27.  Looks
> like we have Panel-squatters.

I will serve out my term as originally stipulated, and I will resign if no
election is at least called by July 27.

> 5. appointing a webmaster.   Still hasn't been done (unless you enjoy being
> billed to death by Joop).

After basically blessing Joop's billing practices, it will be difficult to find
someone who will do the work for nothing (as our Panel Chair has indicated he is
interested in volunteers henceforth).

> 6. promoting Forum discussion.  The Forum is a joke, and discussion has been
> at a bare minimum.

Some of us have tried to make a serious go of this, while certain others have
been anything but helpful or co-operative to date, most especially our Chair and
Co-Chair (the "Official Panel" it seems if their representation of our interests
at Bucharest is any indication...).  I suggest that in the next election (should
there be one), members refrain from voting for candidates who have 'longstanding'
and/or celebrated ties to ICANNia establishment and related venues.

Thanks,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos