Re: [atlarge-discuss] news from bucharest: at large existsagain

Here's the draft of what I just said in the Public Forum in Bucharest.

izumi
---------------
As one of 7 elected members of interim panel of icannatlarge.com, but
speaking only for
myself now, I like to point out the strong need for the recognition and
implementation
of At-Large participatory structure by the Board which will lead the
appropriate allocation
of decision-making position at the Board level to At-Large.

In some countries and cultures, without invitation or recognition, people
will anyway
speak up and demand their interests be included in decision-making. In
other parts of the
world however, it is more difficult to expect that to happen. They tend to
wait. So if you
do not consciously "reach-out" to the users, individual and others, and
provide adequate
incentives for participation and representation, ICANN will definitely
become like an
ordinary trade association dominated by providers. I think that is not
healthy and will
give harm to the providers themselves.

Finally, as we are working hard to self-organize the at-large members
globally, I again
like to call for the formal adoption of At-Large participation mechanism
and therefore
welcomes the idea of At-Large Advisory Committee as the first one small
step for us
here now, but hope it to become the one giant leap for ICANN and all the
players in
the long run globally.