Re: [atlarge-discuss] news from bucharest: at large existsagain

----- Original Message -----
From: "Izumi AIZU" <izumi@anr.org>
To: <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 6:44 AM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] news from bucharest: at large existsagain

> Here's the draft of what I just said in the Public Forum in Bucharest.
>
> izumi
> ---------------
> As one of 7 elected members of interim panel of icannatlarge.com, but
> speaking only for
> myself now, I like to point out the strong need for the recognition and
> implementation
> of At-Large participatory structure by the Board which will lead the
> appropriate allocation
> of decision-making position at the Board level to At-Large.

Aizu-san  - SO this says "Since I am one of the officials, but here I am
only speaking for myself..."  - Either you are speaking as one of the seven
or as a private citizen, so which is it and why mention the other status if
you are not speaking from it as well?

> In some countries and cultures, without invitation or recognition, people
> will anyway
> speak up and demand their interests be included in decision-making. In
> other parts of the
> world however, it is more difficult to expect that to happen. They tend to
> wait. So if you
> do not consciously "reach-out" to the users, individual and others, and
> provide adequate
> incentives for participation and representation, ICANN will definitely
> become like an
> ordinary trade association dominated by providers. I think that is not
> healthy and will
> give harm to the providers themselves.
>
> Finally, as we are working hard to self-organize the at-large members
> globally, I again
> like to call for the formal adoption of At-Large participation mechanism
> and therefore
> welcomes the idea of At-Large Advisory Committee as the first one small
> step for us
> here now, but hope it to become the one giant leap for ICANN and all the
> players in
> the long run globally.

So what was the result of this commntary by you?