Re: [atlarge-discuss] Debate

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:59:05 -0700, you wrote:

>I would like to know any candidates position on a few matters.

I don't know whether I will be a candidate again, however here are my
answers.

>1.    Do they think we should continue with a useful purpose outside of
>ICANN?
>2.    Should we continue to work in the ICANN arena?

I think this is the main question on the table. Personally, though I share
the ultimate goal of direct elections, I think we should accept the fact
that in the current ICANN we will obtain in the short term nothing more than
what we have been given with the ALAC, and work to ensure that the ALAC is
in fact created and that its members are chosen by the bottom and not
imposed from the top. So we should try to cooperate with ICANN at least
until Shanghai to obtain as much as we can from them. I still think that
icannatlarge.com should aim to become a sort of "At Large SO" inside ICANN,
possibly electing the ALAC in full or in part, rather than position itself
outside of ICANN by refusing to participate in the process it has
undertaken.

>3.    Should we be electing people that are not affiliated with ICANN?

It depends on what you mean by "affiliated". What do you mean?

>4.    Should we immediately disqualify from the new election anyone who
>is on the interim panel?

You could do it if you wanted, but then you would really be out of
candidates, I guess :-) Seriously, I don't think it is the case.

>5.	Who is actively seeking this position?  This is important and if
>someone lies about it, it becomes more important.

Which position? What really amazes me is that so many people think of
backsides and second (personal) purposes here. Up to the moment, what I got
from my Chairmanship is a lot of insults and attacks by some people and a
thousand euros disappearing from my pockets for the expenses. The company I
work for does not have anything to do with the domains business more than
being a registrant. So I really can't imagine why someone would like to be
"actively seeking this position", unless for personal passion and ideals. We
can discuss the substance of matters, but I don't think it is the case to
discuss the integrity of the people, unless you have proofs and facts to
expose publicly.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.