RE: [atlarge-discuss] news from bucharest: at large exists again

This is a single post commenting on this thread . . . !

Based on their posts, several folks seem to believe that any effort to
participate in ICANN's ALAC process is somehow giving up our independence.
I disagree.  I for one appreciate the fact that Vittorio, Izumi, Jamie, et
al are in Bucharest trying to get our foot in the door.  But at the same
time, I don't feel that their efforts should in any way be construed as
obligating us to abandon our independent self-organizing efforts to develop
our organization outside of ICANN.

I agree with others' opinions here that being a separate entity representing
our constituency's interests, with ICANN and other entities, could well
become our greatest strength.  In the same vein as the Internet Society,
which represents Internet professionals, I envision us becoming the
independent voice for Internet users.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
Bruce@barelyadequate.info