RE: [atlarge-discuss] inside or outside

In answer to the question in the subject: Both!  :)

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>So: do we think that an At Large Advisory Committee (though still undefined
>in composition, prerogatives and functioning) is interesting enough for our
>organization to keep on participating in the ALOC process and cooperating
>with ICANN; or do we think that it's just a tentative by the Board to cover
>their traces, so we should not cooperate, quit the process and work outside
>ICANN?

IMO we should always be willing to help others build something on behalf of
the At Large.  Granted, after being disappointed by them so many times, I
probably distrust their intentions as much as anyone here.  But we should
always be willing to work towards our goals with anyone purporting to be a
fellow traveller.  By maintaining the moral "high ground" and giving ICANN
the benefit of the doubt (even if we don't really trust them!), if they
prove false once again, it would reflect poorly on them, not us.

>I guess there are very conflicting views on this among members and even
>among panel members, so it is very important to clarify this point.

I fully agree.  Ultimately, whether to participate in the ALAC process or
not should probaly be a question put to the electorate for a vote.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
Bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info