[atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] draft election charter

Thank you Vittorio.

I support this.

I agree with Jamie, though, that we should not call the next panel an
"Interim" panel, because (a) 12 months is not all that interim; but more
imposrtantly because (b) the term Interim Panel makes us seem temporary
and provisional, and I think in our dealings with the media and other
organisations we should give the correct impression that our panel (or I
would prefer the term "executive") is a stable, serious and established
authority. Given that our use of democratic representation is prophetic
for the way we want ICANN and the Internet to be administered, I think
we should project this democratic achievement with something more
authoritative than the term "interim".

But many thanks for getting this drafted and I'm SO pleased that we are
moving forward - and as Izumi says, we are united in this desire to achieve
democracy and user representation and accountability.

It is a "sign" and a "prophecy" of what CAN be, and it shames ICANN, and
our whole membership should feel proud to be in at the beginning of
something
really significant. Don't be discouraged or put down. This really IS only a
beginning, but if we remain true to OUR agenda (whatever ICANN's agenda
or anyone else's may be) then there is a true ideal to be fought for here.

The ideal of a worldwide community of internet users, joining together
across
the barriers that exist, and growing as a true democracy with the desire of
protecting the Internet (our shared worldwide resource) and determining its
future not for the sake of vested interests, but for the sake of all the
ordinary
people who could build this Internet into a world-changing force for good.

This Internet can be a means for breaking down misunderstanding. This
Internet
can be a means for disseminating information and defending freedoms. This
Internet can create wealth for new economies. This Internet can stand for a
new
kind of world built on communication and co-operation.

It is pivotal that this Internet is administered by the people who really
"own" it,
and that this administration is accountable and representative.

Our organisation is moving further along the road of democratic
representation
as a sign to ICANN and others that such things actually do happen. We can
have
a pivotal influence if we just keep going, and asserting the democratic
right of
representation and self-determination, and grow in numbers (we've hardly
scratched
the surface) and broaden our vision.

This is an organisation which can be relevant to millions of people all over
the world,
and as Izumi says, we can unite in this, and realise that small arguments
and
variations of view will not stop a movement that can gain momentum and
become
irresistible.

Thank you to every member : your participation is a statement of democracy
and an
act of idealism!

Richard Henderson