Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] draft election charter

At 09:03 3/07/02, Richard Henderson wrote:

>Thank you Vittorio.
>
>I support this.
>
>I agree with Jamie, though, that we should not call the next panel an
>"Interim" panel, because (a)

Fully agree with the arguments. Why don't we call it "council"?

My comments:

>-----
>ELECTIONS OF A PANEL FOR ICANNATLARGE.COM
>
>Given the fact that the deadline for the current interim panel of
>icannatlarge.com is approaching, a new election for a longer term panel for
>the icannatlarge.com effort is now starting.
>
>The purpose is to select a group of members that represent different
>views, cultures and geographical areas inside the At Large movement,
>have some technical and organizational skills, and are willing to
>devote a significant amount of their time to this effort in the next
>12 months.
>

>MANDATE OF THE INTERIM PANEL
>
>The panel shall be composed of seven members of the icannatlarge.com
>effort.
>
>The mandate of the panel will be that of running the organization in all its
>aspects, including but not limited to:

>1. guiding an outreach campaign so that the highest possible number of
>active users of the Internet who might want to participate in ICANN
>are informed of the effort and can register on icannatlarge.com if
>they wish, and that the membership grows to a point where it can be
>considered sufficiently representative of such users;
>
>2. continuing the public and open discussion of Bylaws for a new At Large
>Membership organization, trying to gather consensus, consider all inputs,
>unify all efforts, and put together in the shortest possible amount of time
>one or more proposals of Bylaws to be then submitted and approved by a
>majority vote of the membership, and after such approval, formally
>incorporate the organization;
>
>3. defending the role of the public for what related to Internet matters
>currently governed by ICANN, and guiding a discussion about whether and how
>the organization should take part to the internal processes ICANN will
>establish for public input and participation;
>
>4. managing the icannatlarge.com website, directly and/or by
>appointing webmasters;

I would leave the "directly and/or " out.  You can't run a website by
committee and to give a single councillor the keys will give as much
problems as to give keys to all.
Issue a general call for a webmaster and appoint a professional.

>5. managing to hold the election of the next officers of the organization
>before the term of the panel expires.
>
>The panel shall expire and conclude its work after twelve months from
>its election.
>

>OPERATIONAL DETAILS AND TIMEFRAME
>
>All persons registering on icannatlarge.com before the end of Monday
>15 July 2002 (GMT) will be entitled to vote. All voters will receive their
>ballot by e-mail at the e-mail address they used when registering to
>icannatlarge.com.
>
>Those members who want to nominate other members or second nominations
>should post a nomination/second message in the "Second Elections" forum on
>the website or to the atlarge-discuss mailing list by the end of Monday 15
>July 2002 (GMT). To be included in the list of the candidates, nominated
>members will have to accept the nomination by posting a message in the same
>forum, or by sending an e-mail to the election watchdogs or to the
>atlarge-discuss mailing list, before the end of Tuesday 16 July 2002 (GMT).

Keep a single place for all nominations: the website forum, which will be
accessible to all.
That means nominations to the discuss list shouls also be entered on the
website.

>Candidates will be asked to provide details for a candidate page that
>will be set up on the site after finalizing the candidate list. A
>public debate about the candidates will be hold in the atlarge-discuss list
>and in the "Second Elections" forum of the icannatlarge.com website until
>July 20.
>
>Voting will occur between Sunday 21 and Saturday 27 July 2002 (GMT).
>

>VOTING SYSTEM
>
>Each voter will receive by e-mail a ballot message, which needs to be
>completed by adding a X inside the square brackets [ ] near to the name of
>the candidates that the voter wants to be endorse, and then to be sent back
>to the originating e-mail address. More detailed instructions will be found
>in the ballot message - we recommend all voters to read it carefully.
>
>Each voter will be allowed to endorse up to three names taken from
>the list of the candidates. Voters should support all candidates that
>seem best fit to the position, so that those who seem suitable to most
>members will be chosen. Overall results will not be made visible to
>voters before the booth is closed.

I would prefer that all voters get 7 votes.

>The seven candidates who receive the highest number of votes will be
>elected, provided that they have received at least 15 votes; if there
>are not seven candidates above this threshold, the number of members
>of the panel will be reduced accordingly.
>
>Ties (if any) will be solved by ordering names by the number of
>candidates of the same ICANN Region that received more votes than the tied
>ones (the lowest first, so to help diversity among regions), then the same
>by country.
>
>The voting system will be kindly provided by the DNSO Secretariat - so the
>current panel wants to thank Elisabeth Porteneuve for this. Elections will
>be overviewed by the following watchdogs (whom also we want to thank):
>
>Joanna Lane <jo-uk@rcn.com>
>

>PANEL RULES
>
>The panel will choose, by majority vote, a Chair, with the role of
>coordinating the discussion and the meetings. If agreement on a Chair
>cannot be reached after seven days from the election, the candidate
>that received the highest number of votes will be the Chair.

Give them 3 weeks to agree on a Chair, before the most popular candidate
becomes Chair by default.
He may not be automatically the best Chair and a single week gives too much
pressure on them.

>All decisions in the panel will be taken by explicit online vote on
>the panel mailing list, called by the Chair and lasting at least two
>days (unless a final result is reached before). Decisions will by
>taken by majority of the non-abstaining votes expressed, provided that
>at least five members of the panel expressed a vote.

It is my experience that a 2 day voting period inevitably locks some
participants out. Give them 5 days, with the proviso that the voting is
finished as soon as there is a majority of 5.

>If any of the seven seats in the panel becomes vacant (ie because of
>resignation, lack of suitable candidates...) it will be filled by the
>first non elected candidate from the original election, provided that
>he received at least 15 votes. If no suitable candidates are available
>from the original election, and the number of remaining members in the
>panel is lower than five, a new election will be held to fill the
>vacant seat.

Thanks Vittorio, for the hard work. it looks  good otherwise.

Please bear with me in that  I will be offline for two days while I am in
transit on Sunday and Monday.
  I will publish the final agreed text on the website (under "voting")
after that.

--Joop--
Interim Webmaster
www.icannatlarge.com