From: todd glassey [mailto:todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 8:10 AM
To: eric@hi-tek.com
Cc: atlarge discuss list
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] elections

Sorry Eric - I should have pointed out the Qui Tam (on the behalf of the
King) type actions

For thouse of you unfamiliar with the term:

Qui Tam ("who sues on behalf of the king as well as for himself") is a
provision of the Federal Civil False Claims Act that allows a private
citizen to file a suit in the name of the U.S. Government charging fraud by
government contractors and other entities who receive or use government
funds, and share in any money recovered.

However there is the problem with Qui Tam is that the Department of Commerce
would likley at some point send its lawyers to help ICANN refute that there
was a real cause of action, becuase of the egg on the US Governments face
(ala the DoC's operations and ICANN's problems to date reflecting poorly on
it) so it is my feeling that to be successful, a Qui Tam filing would have
to be done in multiple courts in multiple jurisdictions to get around the
US-only
forum problem

Personally one of the most possible suits may come from the Tokolu Islands.
There is talk that they might sue ICANN for their negligence in the
numbering/naming conventions such that the Chinese have stepped all over the
.tk ccTLD. I don't know how credible this is, but this would be the
fast-mover in the courts, since the .tk'ers can show real damages today from
ICANN's negligence (IMHO)...

Todd
----

This is only my personal opinion and does not reflect on my employers or
others.