RE: [atlarge-discuss] One small step...

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>Only, I'd like to have a discussion on real and substantial matters,
>rather than on generic accusations of corruption.

As would most of us, I think.

>I think that everyone is free to accuse any other of anything, but
>should always make names and refer to precise facts.

I agree.  It's part of the "openness" thing everyone seems to demand, and
rightly so.

I would also like everyone to consider that we've spent so much time being
given the runaround by two-faced people on the ICANN board and staff, that
all of us are automatically looking for the same amongst ourselves!  It's
understandable, but we need to treat each other better.  Here are some ideas
I think would help in that regard:

	-  Let's all try and avoid assuming evil intent based on minimal facts, and
give each other the benefit of the doubt.  Condem actions, not people.

	-  Let's keep our processes open and document as much of it as we can on
our two e-mail forums and the Web site.

	-  Let's not forget that, for many of our members, English is a second
language (or third, or fourth, etc.!), so we shouldn't automatically assume
that a poorly-phrased statement is anything more than that.  And ask
politely for clarification!  If it turns out your interpretation was right
after all, you can go into (polite!) attack mode then!

	-  Finally, let's allow our fellow members the right to have a different
opinion, and give them the opportunity to defend it!  If we're truely
building a global community, we have to expect wildly differing ideas.  We
should respect all of them, temper them through the furnace of debate, come
to a concensus that the majority can agree on, and support the resulting
policy even if it isn't exactly how *we* wanted it.

If we can do these things well, no one will have any doubts about how our
policies were developed, or question the process used to develop them,
because it will be out there for everyone to look at that wants to.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
Bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info