[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] At-Large

Ray and all assembly members, stakeholders of other interested parties,

Ray Fassett wrote:

> Kristy Mckee writes:
>
> "Too bad ICANN does not believe every citizen deserves the right to vote."
>
> I believe it was James Love who quoted Esther Dyson running around
> Bucharest preaching how "not all governments believe in Democracy".

  And Esther is right.  However very few governments do not believe
in democracy, are already democratic nations, or are embracing basic
democratic values.  Hence Esther was grossly overstating herself
and this skewed position.

> And now there is the Joe Sims version of democracy & ICANN (of course,
> under the "consensus" umbrella):
>
> "Gilmore is one of a group of American critics who assume that American
> values and reactions are and should be determinative in decisions about
> ICANN...."

  As ICANN is a California non-profit corp. or is supposed to be, Gilmore
is quite right in his position and Joe is missing the reality or just plain
denying it.

> "To Gilmore, there apparently are no other relevant governments
> other than the US government..."

  Gilmore never said what Joe Sims characterizes here.  This it
just some of Joe's political grandstanding of which he is well known
for of late...

> It's not just about the right to vote, a basic democratic freedom.  It is
> about many other values America is built upon such as free market
> competition, rights to due process, public accountability, and checks and
> balances (all included in the White Paper, btw).

  Exactly right.  And this is something that the ICANN BoD and staff
have either missed entirely, or have chosen to ignore for many known,
and unknown reasons.

>  It is true that Americans
> tend to make a lot of noise when these basic democratic functions are non-
> existent even to the point to where this noise is "not coincidentally far
> louder than the non-American critics".  No kidding.  So, I guess we are
> supposed to just shut up instead of going on and on with our "head-in-the-
> sand attitude [that] is unfortunately quite common among ICANN's American
> critics" (Joe Sims).

  The problem here is that the largest number of critics to ICANN and Joe
sims in particular are not coming from the United States or are American, but
rather from the EU, and asia.

> I frankly don't give a damn about non-democratic governmental views that
> are "not uniformly consistent" with a democracy as this relates
> specifically to ICANN decision-making processes.  I am unclear why Sims or
> ICANN believes it should.  There is no world flag of higher ground than the
> rights of the free world that America leads (and Sims demeans via
> backhanded insults to both Gilmore and Aurbach).

  Joe not only insults Gilmore and Auerbach, but anyone, including
one of our directors, Bob Davis.  Anyone that does not agree with Joe,
it seems from Joe's own statements of late, is seemingly not worth
considering seriously if at all...

> There should be no "geo-
> political issues swirling around ICANN" that in any way move away from
> basic democratic governance of the Internet where ICANN is concerned.
> Delegating to non-democratic ccTLD operators the ability to operate their
> TLD however they please is as far as ICANN needs to go in its "consensus"
> process.  This is one area where the ITU gets it right.

  Very good point here...

> To suggest non-democratic "geo-political issues" somehow interesect with
> ICANN decision-making processes (as Sims and Dyson both do) is
> irresponsible as is the demeaning of Americans that believe till the death
> basic democratic rights by characterizing this as having "their head in the
> sand".

  Such geo-political ideas are not just demeaning to Americans, but any and
all democratic governments, and peoples/stakeholders/users who's democratic
values and systems of government are being trodded upon in Joe's and
Esther Dysons rhetoric.  It is threatening as well, not just demeaning...

>  Perhaps Mr. Sims the lawyer would like to try arguing this one to
> DoC as justification to remove elections, competition, due process from
> ICANN towards forming a functional consensus process.

  Consensus cannot be determined unless it can be measured.  That
requires a vote by any and all stakeholders of interested parties
in accordance with the White Paper and the MoU.

> Kristy McKee says "Too bad ICANN does not believe every citizen deserves
> the right to vote."  Look at what Sims and Dyson are saying...they explain
> themselves quite well.

  Yes they did in Bucharest.  Especially Esther Dyson.  The emperor has no
clothes.

> Ray
>
> --
>
> --

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827