Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Bucharest Follow up- Formation of a Virtual Association-GAFIG

Sotiris and all stakeholders of interested parties,

  Thank yo Sotiris for passing this along.  Yes indeed, I agree with
you that a full online and ongoing accounting at a minimum should
be kept in the early going...

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> All,
>
> FYI Below are the texts of an email exchange between
> myself and E. Dyson on the ALOC discuss list.
>
> ________
> Email 1:
>
> Esther Dyson wrote:
>
> > Now that we are slightly better organized and have something of a mandate,
> > we should start thinking of foundations. Perhaps the German Stiftungen and
> > orgs like them, as well as Ford and Soros and the like in the US.  This can
> > be very frustrating, but is probably worth the effort.
> >
> > What we need is not a general letter, but a (brief!) budget outline and a
> > fundraising goal...and some specific areas the ALOC/ALAC will focus on,
> > such as Whois.  I'd suggest $100K... and did I hear Stuart mention some
> > kind of matching idea, where ICANN contributes $1 for every $1 we
> > raise?    If I *didn't* hear that, we should suggest it anyway.  ICANN
> > should at least meet the ALAC halfway, since in the long run this org
> > should not be a stepchild....  It would help our fundraising effort a lot
> > to have that kind of (semi) support from ICANN.  (Sure, I wish we could get
> > more, but let's take what we can and make the most of it.)
> >
> > Let's not lose sight of our substantive activities even as we fundraise,
> > though.
> >

> What are we raising funds for exactly?  Denise Michel went
> through close to 20k in a couple months!  I'd like to see
> an itemized report of her billing/expenses before getting
> involved in raising more funds that will go unaccounted
> for...
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos
> ___________
> Email 2:
>
> Esther Dyson wrote:
>
> > Honestly, I don't think all this is necessary...yet.  Let's be real: the
> > funds are primarily to pay Denise's salary and to fund her operating costs
> > - including phone calls, travel, fund-raising and so forth. Right now we
> > are not trying to create an *independent* association with a heavy
> > governance structure; there are already several of those, and we are
> > looking for more. They *are* independent, and they can do what they like,
> > and tell ICANN what they want.
>
> So, in other words, the money you wish to have us endorse
> collecting is actually for ICANN, to be meted out as Staff
> sees fit?  You are the same Esther Dyson who wrote
> recently in the Wall Street Journal that ICANN needs more
> money.  Don't you think that it's time ICANN started
> disclosing financial information to the public's
> representatives on its Board?  Or is that a premature step
> at this juncture too?
>
> I do not for a moment believe that my organization
> (icannatlarge.com) will endorse any ICANN funding until
> the members are asked.  So, I cannot add my name (nor my
> organization's) as legitimatizing support to any
> initiatives to fund ICANN at this time.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos
> [...]

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827