[atlarge-discuss] Help for us wanted: a concrete challenge

Hi! @large folks,

there are two ways to make the @large important. To develop actions such as icannatlarge.com and to developing the network itself, in the best interest of all the end users. We are matching the first challenge - are we able to match the second one too?

One of the key issues of the Internet and the key issue of the ICANN is the DNS. One can dispute over it, one can also work on it and to develop it. This is the target of the dot-root project ( http://dot-root.com - in French right now). This project consists in organizing and testing a multiple parallel asynchronous experimental root servers system and a root server operations test team.

The initial team is French speaking (France, Belgium, French speaking universities people), but we want it to be something for everyone. In order to better obtain funding we plan three test parallel root systems. From our initial contacts one could be European, one from the Pacific area and one International. Ideally we would be better off with five systems (one by @large region?) for security/stability reasons.

The target is that the root systems may monitor each other for service consistency: would an alarm occur, both the reporting and the reported root serve system would be frozen and investigated. Part of the experience is obviously to discuss, implement, test, validate and document what this may means, if it is feasible, what are the cons and pros, etc.

This is absolutely not alt(sic)root, however it will certainly use experience and tools from everywhere. If falls under the ICP-3 testing and experiments provisions.

The target is to gather operational competences, explore real needs in terms of parallel master file generation, updates, security, compliance with local requirements, mutual consistency permanent control, security by parallel queries, procedures in case of emergency, statistics, mutual comparisons of operations, comparisons between different DNS programs, etc.. also to look at the best way to inform the operators in case of crisis and pick load (war, catastrophes, hertz disruptions, ..). Develop procedures.Type of hardwares, network locations, real life situations depending on the load. Simulation of medium, large, huge numbers of TLDs. The way to support new architectures and different requirements in term of root information dissemination. Three of the first projects are:

1) to build a test program to emulate the requests to such a root server system.
2) to develop an e-learning system on the DNS for root system operators, ISP, TLD Managers, DN managers, extranet and Intranet managers, as different paths, so they may have a dedicated tutorial and e-assistant. We will add management assistance tools.
3) a generic TLD management system. A few TLD test name servers will be deployed to support root testing. One will be dedicated to a testing among Telecom operators (dot-telecom).

All what will be done and developed will be reported and under GPL. This experimental system will be maintained in proper order to serve as an emergency back-up for the root system or for remote ccTLDs.

Right now we are looking for the following help:

1. Universities, corporations or experts interested in sharing into the experiment in dedicating one Pentium+ at a stable IP address and in participating with a permanent one or two persons team. This will be at least for 6 months, but probably on a much longer term. They should be prepared to join forces to develop test/development projects and to file for R&D common budgets. Dedication, but no special skill required - dedicated individuals are welcome, but this is a serious and long term project (your ISP may be interested in participating with a machine and having his name quoted). The idea is also to test the training from scratch.

2. the site right now is in French: we would be glad if someone could help in translating the document in perfect English, Spanish and may be other languages so it can be presented to the press and explained to the public. The Internet is our common network. We want to ask everyone their needs about the DNS evolution.

3. this kind of project is going to require some non DNS support such as:

- legal writing for consortium agreement, licenses, etc also one of the target is to be able to advise Govs on the way to deal with DNS and root issues in the laws (archiving, testing, validity of the proof that may represent the record of an access, disputes between ISPs and root service providers, emergency situations, insurance contacts ...)

- local press relations to keep the press informed in case of interest.

- hackers. One of the target is to work on security. A test root system will permit impossible testing on the main system. We will also want to know the cons/pros of parallel solutions.

- money collectors. If anyone as skills and experience in promoting this king of R&D projects.

I underline that this is a real occasion for the @large to show that we are the network, that we can contribute to our own R&D and operations, that we are mastered by no one

Also a real occasion for every network community to share. Ideally we would need teams and machines from every country to build a common command of key issues (DNS evolution) and to get statistics and requirement from every part of the network, to best compare. In particular the iDNs issues are of major importance for the Minc, Ainc and Eurolinc areas. To build a basis of experience in these countries can only help our ccTLDs, Governments and local development.

Thank you for your cooperation.
jfc