Re: [atlarge-discuss] 12 Zombi'es on this discussion group

On Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:23:33 -0400, you wrote:

>Therefore, I think we have discovered that Jeff Williams has 12 Alias's on
>this list and on the ICANNatLarge membership.  You do the math - who would
>vote for a person who has never been heard from?  I submit that Jeff
>Williams has voted for himself by voting for Bob Crawford 12 times.

Of course this might have happened, but if you take a look at the
ballots, only two of them were endorsing Bob Crawford and no one else.
Other voters inserted Bob Crawford in a mix of other candidates -
perhaps, for example, they decided to support all candidates from
North America, or simply they mistook Bob Crawford for someone else.

Said this, we all know that at this time there is no real
authentication on the identity of our members, and that this is a
problem that has to be solved for the future. There are a number of
possible solutions, none of which perfect, but most of which
reasonable: from transaction of a very small amount of money (ie 1$)
on a credit card, to endorsement of the identity by other already
verified members, to sample checks in which we require randomly
selected members to send proof of their identity, to usage of legally
valid digital certificates as already available in many countries. I
think we'll need to accept many different methods, as I don't see a
method suitable for all people and all countries. Or we could devolve
verification and certification of identities to smaller local
organizations who can manage this on a personal basis.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------