RE: [atlarge-discuss] Membership records Re: [atlarge-discuss] Point of personal privilege -- I'm ...

Judyth wrote:

>As administrator of a few mailing lists, I find that a
>bounce rate of perhaps 1%-2% is normal, and rather a lot
>of those have more to do with people who let their
>mailbox space fill up. The others can be a real problem
>to track down unless you have some other means of
>communicating with them. In fact, most lists simply
>give up and unsubscribe anyone after a given number of
>messages bounce.

That is why we have tried so hard to get ICANN to fess up the old e-mail
list, or at least send out a single message to the list members on our
behalf.  But, of course, they aren't interested in furthering our cause so
they've never helped us in this regard.

>Another possibility people might like to consider is
>setting up the organization's Web site to provide
>permanent e-mail accounts like "joeblow@icannatlarge.com"
>configured so as to forward mail to whatever ISP account
>the individual is using at the time.

Assuming we can get our own mail server going, this might be an excellent
idea to implement.  It could also have the added benefit of adding a level
of anynonimity to our users: if everyone has the same external domain, it's
harder to hang regional or national "tags" on people.  For those who
strongly identify with their locale, this could be perceived as a bad thing.
But I consider this a good thing, particularly for people in locales where
the local powers that be might object to and attempt to squelch someone's
comments:  if we're all "somebody@icannatlarge.com" it sets up the
posibility of psudonyms to protect people in such situations.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
Bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info