[atlarge-discuss] Fwd: [wsis-prep1] Civil Society Secretarait - Summer Update

From: "Michael Gurstein" <mgurst@vcn.bc.ca>
To: "Cpi-Ua@Vancouvercommunity. Net" <cpi-ua@vancouvercommunity.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:56:16 -0400

http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/documents_Documents_PrepCom1.html>

http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/documents_Documents_PrepCom1_Official.html

http://www.geneva2003.org/home/events/prepcom/probref101.html

> [...]
> human resources development
> Issues: access issues such as local content,
> multi-lingual and cultural
> diversity and intellectual property rights, using
> ICTs and capacity building,
> in government, academia and private sector.
>
> This theme has been proposed by the following
> countries: European Union, China,
> India, United States, Switzerland, Brunei Darussalam
> (on behalf the group of 77
> and China)
>
> II. E-government, governance
> Issues: how information and communication
> technologies can be used by
> government and citizens to secure transparent
> governance, access to community
> information, improve citizens' participation and
> diminish bureaucracy. Human
> rights and cyber security in the future information
> society have to be
> discussed in the light of these prospects.
> Intellectual property rights.
>
> This theme has been proposed by the following
> countries: European Union, India,
> Australia
>
> III. E-inclusion, bridging the digital divide,
> access and participation for all
> Issues: applications of ICTs in daily life, work and
> e-health. Fundamental in
> this regard are gender issues, affordability of ICTs
> services and development
> of adequate content. The study of best practices
> related ICT projects and the
> worldwide diffusion of lessons learned by
> stakeholders should be promoted by
> the Summit.
>
> This theme has been proposed by the following
> countries: European Union, China,
> India, United States, Switzerland, Brunei Darussalam
> (on behalf the group of 77
> and China), Australia
>
> IV. ICTs and network security
> Issues: establishment of emergency systems and
> collaboration among countries on
> network security. Electronic security - Free flow of
> information.
>
> This theme has been proposed by the following
> countries: China, India, United
> States, Australia
>

> ACCREDITATION: Applications for accreditation that
> have been sent thus far are
> pending approval by the Bureau of the Preparatory
> Committee at a date to be
> decided. We invite new applications for
> accreditation as soon as possible so
> that we can present them to the Bureau -
> Accreditation form.
>
> PREPCOM 2: The date, venue and program were not
> finalized at PrepCom 1. More
> information as soon as possible will be posted on
> this website.
>
> REGIONAL CONFERENCE : After Africa (Bamako 2002, May
> 2002), Europe will
> organize its Regional Conference preparatory to the
> Summit in Bucharest (7-9
> November 2002). In order to become more familiar
> with the activities of the
> conference and to be involved, please visit
> http://www.wsis-romania.ro/
>
> Note: "Europe" in UN language also includes

[snip]

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>