RE: [atlarge-discuss] Revised ALAC report submission schedule

Bret writes,

> Personally, I hope that our newly elected leaders don't take
> this group -- a
> group that is the best bottom-up organizational effort to
> date -- down a
> path that will see it marginalized or completely disregarded.

"... The original concept of a public "at-large" membership that would
elect board members has been replaced with cynical top down staff/board
managed PR exercise that will ironically be used by the board to pack key
committees,including the new "NomCom" with cronies. Esther Dyson, who is
making a career out of protecting ICANN from its critics or government
oversight is currently in charge of deciding who "really" speaks for the
public, and what constitutes "constructive" input. This is a huge mistake,
because Esther is completely out of touch with the public, and would likely
have no support in any at-large strucutre that was democratic.  ...  The
clique of insiders who control ICANN are not willing to give up control,
the unelected board members who promised years ago to leave ICANN are still
there, and the at-large elected members will soon be moved off the board. "
http://www.cptech.org/ecom/icann/cptech06282002.html
CPTech Statement on Bucharest ICANN Meeting, June 28, 2002, Jamie Love

"...[icannatlarge.com] is the group that Esther is now seeking to
marginalize, in part by more or less confusing everyone with a very similar
sounding group, so in the new ICANN speak, "at-large" is used by some to
mean, the public having some elections for its own representation (the
"old" definition), and by Esther and the ICANN board to mean what looks
like a corporate focus group (the new "reformed" definition)."
http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=876&mode=&order=0
"At Large Confusion", ICANNWatch, July 29, 2002, Jamie Love

ICANN has already taken that path.  Which begs the question, why do you
want to walk with ICANN?

Judith Oppenheimer
http://JudithOppenheimer.com
http://ICBTollFreeNews.com