Re: [atlarge-discuss] Revised ALAC report submission schedule

Sotiris,

What I meant to say is that we all have to be careful about our use of language. I believe the most useful way to refer to Esther and Denise's group is: "the ERC-appointed Assistance Committee."

Hans

At 11:56 AM 8/15/2002 -0400, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

Hans Klein wrote:

> Remember, the report is actually the product of the ERC's Assistance
> Committee. Dissenting voices (e.g. me) were not allowed on that committee.
>
> I worry that this report may be presented as the product of the ALOC or of
> some bottom-up process. Whether intentional or unintentional, we should
> try to avoid such a mix-up.
>
> Sotiris, your participation creates the impression that the work is done by
> the ALOC.
>
> Referring to the report as the "ALAC report" also risks creating confusion.
>
> I urge you to consistently make it clear that the report in question is the
> product of a top-down process. Accuracy and fairness necessitate this.

Hans et al.,

If I have failed to do so, I wish to make it clear that this work is not being
done by the ALOC, but rather by the ALAC, as Hans notes above. It (the ALAC) is,
in point of fact, a top-down organizing process with the the structure being
imposed from 'above', so to speak. I hope I did not mislead anyone and I will be
more careful with such distinctions in future.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos