Re: [atlarge-discuss] FYI

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:41:13 EDT, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002
>
>STATEMENT OF THE INTERNET SOCIETY ON DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT
>
> [...]

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:41:13 EDT, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002
>
>STATEMENT OF THE INTERNET SOCIETY ON DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT

Danny,
thanks for forwarding this press release to atlarge-discuss.
This confirm my opinion that ISOC is an interesting place to stay,
thought it's not an users' organization.
I don't want reproduce here the debates in ISOC - I'm an ISOC individual
member and they are telling me that neither articles of incorporation,
nor bylaws, nor mission statement say nothing about it being an user
organisation.

Well, THIS is an user organization, so ICANN - or whatever was/is/will
be committed with bottom-up processes - should hear OUR voice, it isn't?

[BTW, I'm reading this press release here for the first time. So we are
not only capable to elect our representatives, but also to circulate
quickly interesting news ...]

ISOC Chapters, as other organisations (Andy Mueller Maguhn's CCC come to
mind, while I not heard nothing from them recently) could be very
helpful to address problems like voters' identity, and many others
indeed. Now we have ICANN processes in front of us, and I concur with
Hans Klein about to prepare a separate statement for ERC. While I think
we could agree on some principles, I don't figure out how detailed it
could be.

I'm cautious about rejecting ICANN, mainly because in my opinion ICANN
is a placeholder for our present work, which is to build a larger,
stable users' organization, where different opinions can cohesist.
Meantime, we can think other scenarios without ICANN, but there are some
different views on fundamental matters: ie., Karl considers the
constituencies' system definitely wrong. Rejecting ICANN, should we
reject this system in the same time? One option implies the other?

I could be characterized as affiliated to an 'ISOC party', but I don't
have strong opinions about that ...

Regards,
	giampaolo