[atlarge-discuss] Opportunity for Action

For the benefit of those members that are not yet subscribed to the General
Assembly list, the following is a response from Director Jon Cohen on the
subject of an At-Large Supporting Organization:

Danny ,
you and i have talked about this before in 'general terms',but I would be
pleased to clarify "my" thinking on the subject.It would be just that "my
thinking" not that of the Board or any other Member.However, I think it
appropriate to allow the ERC to finish its work and the ALAG to be looked at
'objectively' by those who have undertaken the task.To open up this dialogue
now undermines that effort. If ultimately it recommends an ALSO,or,if after
some experience or debate that is considered a wise decision...I have every
confidence it will be made. Other Constituencies that are 'arguably' better
represented in ICANN (Some people feel the current "At Large" in ICANN
consists of a relatively small number of individuals a large % of whom are
American and that is not necessarily a"constituency' from which one can draw
much policy comfort on a "global" scale)and which feel they should have an
SO.  Lets chat in the Fall
best regards
Jonathan

If the At-Large is ever to have any directors on the ICANN Board, it will
need to have all its "structures" commit to the creation of a Supporting
Organization for the At-large.  I would advise having the icannatlarge.com
Panel contact each member of the ALAC team and ask them to immediately
endorse a joint statement in support of the creation of such a Supporting
Organization.   Timing is often the key to success.  This would be a good
time to get this done.  In my view, a united front will serve the needs of
the At-large at this point.