Re: [atlarge-discuss] Opportunity for Action

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 12:49, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> For the benefit of those members that are not yet subscribed to the General
> Assembly list, the following is a response from Director Jon Cohen on the
> subject of an At-Large Supporting Organization:
>
> Danny ,
> you and i have talked about this before in 'general terms',but I would be
> pleased to clarify "my" thinking on the subject.It would be just that "my
> thinking" not that of the Board or any other Member.However, I think it
> appropriate to allow the ERC to finish its work and the ALAG to be looked at
> 'objectively' by those who have undertaken the task.To open up this dialogue
> now undermines that effort. If ultimately it recommends an ALSO,or,if after
> some experience or debate that is considered a wise decision...I have every
> confidence it will be made. Other Constituencies that are 'arguably' better
> represented in ICANN (Some people feel the current "At Large" in ICANN
> consists of a relatively small number of individuals a large % of whom are
> American and that is not necessarily a"constituency' from which one can draw
> much policy comfort on a "global" scale)and which feel they should have an
> SO.  Lets chat in the Fall
> best regards
> Jonathan
>
> --------------------------------
>
> If the At-Large is ever to have any directors on the ICANN Board, it will
> need to have all its "structures" commit to the creation of a Supporting
> Organization for the At-large.  I would advise having the icannatlarge.com
> Panel contact each member of the ALAC team and ask them to immediately
> endorse a joint statement in support of the creation of such a Supporting
> Organization.   Timing is often the key to success.  This would be a good
> time to get this done.  In my view, a united front will serve the needs of
> the At-large at this point.

I like this idea Danny. I would like to see the Panel sign their
statement with their country of origin beside their names and maybe an
attached list of "voting countries" in the last election. Something
like:

Panel Chair (country)
MP 1 (country)
MP 2 (country)

Voter participation by country in electing the above:
Country 1  XX%
Country 2  XX%
Country 3  XX%