Re: [atlarge-discuss] RE: [atlarge-panel] 006 Deciding Name - Resolution and Recommendation to Members

At 03:18 p.m. 19/08/2002 -0400, Michael Geist wrote:
Joanna,

We should absolutely ensure that there is membership support for the organization's name. If the membership wants something without ICANN, I'll support that choice.
I agree with Michael on this point.

That said, your response leaves me genuinely puzzled. On Sunday you sent an email to the panel asking them to indicate their preference for three names -- icannatlarge, internetatlarge, and worldatlarge. The following day you now indicate that "ICANN must go" and that "We have two options on the table here - WorldAtLarge and InternetAtLarge."

What has changed in 24 hours such that one of the choices has been removed? We haven't heard from the entire panel, much less the membership. Was the inclusion of icannatlarge as a choice a good faith choice? When you say that "I would not be doing my job if I were to allow one side to rule this organization at the expense of the other", isn't that possibly exactly what you're doing when you say that ICANN is off the table before everyone is heard from?
I cannot but agree. Are the rights of the members to be involved in the decision abandoned so quickly?
Joanna, please do it right.

--Joop