[atlarge-discuss] [WG-ID] Initial message

This is the startup message for the working group on Identity
Verification. AFAIK the members' list for this group is:

Vittorio Bertola
Joey Borda
Michael Geist
Satyajit Gupta
Earl Heather
Richard Henderson
Hans Klein
Joanna Lane
James Love
Andrew McMeikan
YJ Park
Edmundo Valenti
Jeff Williams

(Please tell me if I missed anyone.)

It has been suggested by some panel members that working groups
discuss publicly on the atlarge-discuss list, so that work can be
participated and monitored by everyone else. I'm not particularly fond
of this idea - I'd rather have a separate, publicly archived list not
to flood everyone's mailboxes - but I guess this will be discussed
today in the panel conf call. In the meantime I'd like to hear other
opinions on this.

As a group, we should first finalize our mission and select our final
coordinator. I tried to formalize the mission as follows:

"Review existing online personal identification methods and work out
possible others, with special attention to the need of preserving
members' privacy while certifying their true identity and all their
data necessary to hold online elections, and to the need of
establishing simple ways to securely manage such data and integrating
them with election mechanisms. The deliverable of this group will be a
document including a structured and comparable review of these methods
and some suggestions about which ones seems more suitable to our
organization."

After finalizing mission, working method and coordinator, I'd suggest
we work on an unified template for the review of the different
methods.

What are your comments on all these matters?
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------