Re: [atlarge-discuss] Report to the ERC from the ALAC-AG (2/2)

A tyranny of the majority?  Come on, Paul, why we are now in this predicament with ICANN?  We were not able to give direction to our desires.  We could not vote.  Do not get bogged down in the minute.  We cannot wait for the rest of the world to catch up with us.  We need to preserve it for them now.

Regards,

Micheal Sherrill

From: Paul <notmyopinion@btinternet.com>
Date:  Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:06:16 +0100

The problem with one man one vote is that the voice of the
regions with the highest internet penetration may well
drown all other voices, in a tyranny of the majority.

This will not necessarily lead to problems, but you can
see how such a process might favour the interests of those
already connected over those who are trying to get there.

A mostly western electorate might consider a few dollars
a reasonable price to pay for "the internet" - whereas
many african users might hesitate to commit a month's
wages for the same service.

Maybe that's the sort of problem the regional organisations
will address?

And maybe new-ICANN developing-world government appointees
will be models of integrity, once away from the unfortunate
example of their kleptocratic leaders at home.

Maybe...

   Paul D

--
  Paul the argumentative     ( notmyopinion@btinternet.com )
   "Opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily incorrect."