RE: [atlarge-discuss] Supporting Organization

You can't begin to compare the FCC/telco system and ICANN.  In the telecom
system there are degrees of accountability; there is access; there is
recourse.

I have actively participated at FCC roundtables along with small-business
(and I mean *small* business) colleagues.  We have asked for and been
granted ex parte meetings.  I have no problem being a member of State Dept
ad hoc committees whose work is pertinent to mine - with a vote equal to
that of all the large players - one company, one vote.  (Yes, there are
arenas where my vote carries the same weight as Marilyn Cade's.)   I am an
active participant in the standards and practices committee that manages
toll free service, have been an active participant in the Industry
Numbering Committee,  and I'm a voting member of ENUM Forum, tasked by the
State Dept with constructing how ENUM will be implemented in the U.S..  In
all these forums my vote has equal weight with the other participants.
Large biz, small biz, individual - one entity, one vote.  All equal.

(Before you say that is business and not individual representation, I am an
individual, a mere consultant.  And my participation - at the FCC, at the
State Dept, at telco forum meetings around the country, at the SBA - is and
has always been by phone bridge - my travel budget for these activities to
date, over a ten year period, is $0.)

My participation has and continues to influence what does and what doesn't
happen (I can give concrete examples to anyone who'd like to email me
privately.  I won't bore the list with it.)

There is simply no comparison.

Judith Oppenheimer
http://JudithOppenheimer.com
http://ICBTollFreeNews.com