RE: [atlarge-discuss] FW: [atlarge-panel] 006 Name - TLD extension

Joanna (et al) [specific comments within quote-back, if any]:

I commend to the panel and our “members-at-large-within” the idea that a brief explanation-summary-argument-SalesPitch be included on the ballot appropriately below (or above?; ya’ll will figure that out) each of the choices to be voted aye or nay to. The supporter-recommender of a particular name would probably be the best to write this.

This would primarily serve those (most?) on this list who do not, can not, “keep up” with all the very same information and arguments-debates already conducted here with regard to the prominently discussed possible names.

It would especially well serve any who wish to add to the panel’s recommended list of names without prolonging this process further.

At 06:56 AM 8/27/2002 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:

>The problem I have on the TLD extension is (personally speaking) trying to
>justify why anybody would want to take away the only thing from our name
>that tells people where to find us. And the result of that decision also
>impacts the choice of name because it is affected by whether or not all
>defensive extensions are available.

In my view, of course it matters that the defensive extensions are available.

>Of the two names currently on the table, only one is available in .com,
>.net, .org. So when Richard talks about WorldAtLarge, half his audience may
>well end up at a reseller's site (worldatlarge.com). With respect to
>"AtLarge.ws", I am mindful that this organization ought not to be beholden
>to any national government for its global identity, and I don't care what
>spin you put on .ws, it is not appropriate to have any ccTLD as the primary
>domain name. Also, try talking about "At Large", without redirecting people
>to that At-large fiasco we have just escaped.

Points taken.

>So I honestly don't think you can expect the electorate to make an informed
>choice about the name without knowing whether or not the TLD is included,
>and I do think it would be far better to vote for the name to include the
>TLD, so that ultimately they support the choice of extension, but so that
>when unforeseen circumstances arise whereby it is desirable to drop the TLD
>(although I'm still trying to think of one), that remains an option.

Easy enough to handle on the ballot too.

For each choice list ALL the considered necessary AVAILABLE defensive TLD variations of the name being recommended, so that folks see the strengths and deficiencies for themselves.

That will definitely make it possible for the electorate to make an informed choice!

>There is little point in sending out a printed press release without contact
>details in very large print across the top. In the old days, that would be a
>phone number and fax. Now it's a URL - which, combined with a logo is cost
>effective and efficient. For those who may only just be coming online, it is
>far from an outdated concept, it is the at the forefront of innovation, and
>unlike us, who can always run to google, our growth may have to rely on word
>of mouth and one person typing it into a browser in an internet cafe.

Absolutely on point. My day to day person-to-person and person-to-group dealings in all my on-line affairs are constantly geared and re-geared to lowest common denominator (non-perjorative) Net user among them. I WANT TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE-MOVE PEOPLE, and that’s the best approach I’ve found.

>My 2 cents.
>
>Joanna

I think allowing for inflation since the expression came into vogue, my 2 cents here actually translates in today’s devaluation to more like 2-million cents.  ;-)

/s/ Joey
Tuesday, August 27, 2002 * 7:31 AM EDT USA
=====
Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.
---
Saul Alinsky (1909–72), U.S. radical activist. Rules for Radicals, “Tactics” (1971). [See http://everything2.com/index.pl for information on Saul.]
=====
-
I met Saul Alinsky just before he died at a speech he gave at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA. I had taken my copy of his book Rules for Radicals with me to get his autograph. With a large smile on his face he happily autographed my book.
-
What did he write inside cover of my book besides his name that is worth mentioning here?
-
"Me thinks we'll meet again."
-
;-)  Well, we didn't meet again before his death, and we haven't met since his death either, at least not so far as I am aware.
-
I'm in no particular hurry to leave this world. But I do look forward to meeting him again, wherever and whenever that might be! -- /s/ Joey  ;-)
=====