RE: [atlarge-discuss] Report to the ERC from the ALAC-AG (2/2)

Judyth wrote:

>There are also text-to-speech and speech-to-text applications to help the
visually impaired,
>touchscreen applications that can be used with a mouthstick by the armless
or paralyzed,
>and even some experimental work involving input by eye-movement alone.

Actually, the best thing a Web developer can do to ensure maximum support
for such programs is the use of "Alt" tags in every object that describe the
object.  That is what the screen readers use to read the "buttons" on a
normal Web site.  All we need do is ensure our site complies with the latest
techniques used to make sites more "visible" to the visually impared.
Anyone interested in this can ask me off list, since I imagine HTML coding
is not a great passion for most readers here!

The other issue (those who are *unable* to read) is an issue far beyond our
ability to solve.  However, we *can* make it as easy as possible by setting
up pages in as many well-used languages as possible.  That means volunteer
Web developers in every region to translate the main site.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info