Re: [atlarge-discuss] as WE wish (wa : As the Chair wishes...)

Once again, Jefsey is voicing the vision which I find moving and inspiring.
This is a vision of a REAL community of networks, and network of
communities. It is about the reality of lots of little efforts, lots of
local get-togethers, lots of different but supporting initiatives - which
are worth it in themselves, not mainly for what they politically achieve
(though I think this vision can lead to a change of mindset and have
impact).

I also agree with Jefsey about the membership lists. I would personally
prefer caution (and specific voted allocation) over distribution of the
lists. I have said that I would personally like access to the list for
Outreach purposes. But that is for the panel to decide.

I was asking access for myself. I do not personally think the mailing list
should just be distributed to all 11 panel members. I do not personally
support that, though I think I've been listed as supporting that. I think
that was a misunderstanding.

What I support right now is sending out a vote about our name - and I
believe Joop might be prepared to do that for us without the need to release
the mailing-list to all 11 panel members. We just need to get that name
chosen.

I'm encouraged because it seems like we'll achieve that in the coming week.
However, I have to be honest to my beliefs. I do not think that has to be
linked to releasing the mailing list to the whole panel. I think we have a
'duty of care' when it comes to handling other people's privacy and details.
I probably sound hypocritical because if I'm asking for access it sounds
like I'm saying that I'm trustworthy but others aren't. That's not what I
mean. I just mean that if 2 or 3 or 4 people have a list of private details,
there's a chance those details will get released. If you have 11 people with
the mailing list, you have 3 or 4 times the likelihood of the private
details being released.

It only takes one discontented person, one angry person, and who knows what
damage could be done.

So I favour limiting access to the mailing-list simply to people who need it
to carry out specific functions. And even then - as in my case - it may be
that I have to content myself by sending messages by proxy through a
list-holder. I don't know.

Right now, I'm just looking forward to knowing what the membership wants to
call its organisation.

There is a danger - given quite a lot of 'sleeping' members (or are they
wide awake but just 'lurking'?) - that the vote could be quite arbitrary, if
people are presented with a list of names, but haven't been presented with
the arguments for those names. But anyway, we'll see. One thing's for sure.

We have to have a name!

Richard