Re: [atlarge-discuss] Pax pax...

Richard [et al]:

I agree with your view and vision 99.9%.

My 0.1% difference is with your view (inferred by me) that seems to picture Satyajit is an innocent political “every-man” entitled to every-man protection of his private view and belief regarding his very public action.

While I have been around here only a short while and literally know no one in this organization, nevertheless I am impressed that a fair number of Satyajit’s critics are feeling he betrayed his previously stated publicly espoused position.

In other words, he put himself out there as a fair target of criticism. I’m sorry, I cannot defend any right of his to privacy on this matter.

His refusal to respond leaves it open to others, me now included, to now suggest that he violated his own earlier stated position on At-Large representation.

I do not think anyone is abandoning social skills or respect for minority opinion in this.

I agree that Satyajit can vote for whomever he wants.

I do not agree however in that he put himself forward publicly for election to the panel based on publicly expressed views he held up that he should be elected for, and that he can then turn around and refuse to answer for his public behavior which appears to be in stark contradiction to those views.

It has nothing to do with his right to do as he wishes. It has everything to do with answering for what he does to those who elected him to the panel based on his public proclamations that seems inconsistent with that election.

If he chooses not to answer, if he chooses not to persuade me to his view in this particular matter, then he leaves me to formulate entirely my own uninformed conclusion for the position he’s taken, a conclusion that potentially will lead me to oppose him in future elections.

At present I can only conclude, absent his response, that he is “anti-at-large.” That is neither good nor bad. It is not acrimony, it is not haughty, it is not laughable, it is not discourteous, it is not small, it is not unkind, it is not stingy, it is not humorless, it is not unfriendly, it is not disrespectful, it is not persecutorial nor prosecutorial -- I am not any of these things simply because I want Satyajit to clear up an important seeming contradiction for me.

For a fact, I don’t know what his reply is or might be. My question is not rhetorical. I make no attempt to suggest anything about his character by my inquiry. I only want an answer.

I agree that “community is built by humour, friendship, tolerance, generosity of spirit, idealism, romance, patience, kindness, surprise, encounters, inner peace, honesty, openness, inclusiveness... lots of things like that...”

Community building, from time to time, requires confrontation regarding disagreements, and the solution of those disagreements. That is what voting is ultimately about.

And that is why what Satyajit did is important in our public sense. He cast a “vote.” Yes, it was his vote to cast, and apparently unassociated with, unaffiliated with atlarge.com. Nevertheless it was not wholly so, if only because of the mistaken perception by me and other members within atlarge.com that it was contrary to our interests, AND the mistaken perception outside of atlarge.com that his “vote” was somehow representative, since he is a panelist, of something of atlarge.com.

Perhaps I should restate my level of agreement with you. It is more likely 99.99%, with 0.01% disagreement, that is how closely I share your larger view of things.

I do not know you Richard, yet by everything I’ve read of yours I have every good reason to like you indeed.

/s/ Joey

Friday, September 13, 2002 * 12:28 PM EDT USA
=====
DISCLAIMER: I had not read any posts following on this one on the occasion of its composition, and my responses here are uninformed in that regard. This is also a second attempt to post it to the list, the first somehow having gone awry. ... /s/ Joey... Saturday, September 14, 2002 * 8:19 AM EDT USA
=====