Re: [atlarge-discuss] analysis

Eric,

I have watched enough organizations and plans bite the dust.  The IAHC plan
is ancient history, the Boston Working Group is no longer a viable force, and
the IDNO has totally disappeared.  Let's face it, some organizations and
plans may bloom for a while and then wither and die -- it's the nature of the
beast.  This is as true for the At-large as it is for any other entity.  In
the long run, only those with money and power remain.  The At-large has
neither.

This is not about being negative.  This is about being honest and recognizing
the trends around you as they develop.  Stuart Lynn signalled the replacement
of the At-large by Governments in his Roadmap.  Governments are taking him up
on his offer, and the At-large is being displaced by those with a rightful
claim to represent the public.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it
is the coming reality.

At least that's how I see it.  Feel free to disagree.  It won't take long for
all of us to see the new role for governments in ICANN, nor the diminished
role for certain other stakeholders.  The latest implementation plan in fact
calls for reduced voting rights for those constituencies not under contract
with ICANN.

There comes a time when there is no longer any value in backing a losing
proposition, when a new way needs to be found to deal with the problem.  I
believe we are at that point.