  From: J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin
  To: atlarge-panel@lists.fitug.de
  Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 3:13 PM
  Subject: [atlarge-panel] WG-WEB: responses to Jamie

  On 12:05 02/10/02, James Love said:
  Jefsey,
  > 1.  I don't think we want a web page run by hundreds of people.    On the contrary, I think we want the web page to be managed by a few people who can keep it current, and make sure it serves to enhance the transparency of the group.

  This is something to be decided by the panel upon proposition of the WG-WEB, and possibly to the membership to decide. Right now I am quite hesitant to give Sotiris full powers. I frankly see no real difference between Joop and Sotiris at the present stage. I will set-up my mind when :

  1. I get the site IP address - the question risen by Sotiris means that he does not understand how it works (what I doubt) or he wants a control equivalent to Joop, I am not prepared to grant him.

  2. I see a draft site to understand what he plans. There was plenty of time for him to present a draft site on worldatlarge.org. My approach would be to have him set up worldatlarge.org as the future icannatlarge.org site so we can use both addresses and evaluate the way he sets a site up and the time he can dedicate to it.

  From your remarks, I understand that you never shared in a cooperative site or an e-zine. What you want is the way it works, but hundreds of people can cooperate. This is the only way to make some real outreach: to imply people. We will no reinvent the wheel.

  We start with 190 authors wanted, one per contry. Plus probably 20 others, one per main topic, plus back-up and alternative views. I do not know if you looked at who is listed on our member list?  Many are far more competent than me.

  > 2.   We will have to make some policies on control of the site, and who has posting privledges.  My own prefence is to have non-panel members maintain the content, so there are fewer transition issues in elections.

  Right. There should be tow or three people. IMHO a guy like NameCritic is a very good co-manager for such a task. There is areal difference between a one person's site (blog) and an e-zine. The first thing is to see how NameCritic and Satiris and Vittorio can make it together. Producing together is far more a challenge than talking/debating together.

  > 3.  What is the deal over icannatlarge.org?  Who controls this, and what will we have to do to get control of it?

  Ok. Let forget about that: I explained it 100 times. It seems that no one will ever want to read what I explain. So let me try to care about it. Just remember that none of you wanted to hear what I said and most went though that vote because our two Lady J hoped internetatlarge.org would win. This is over. Let me try to sort the mess. This is a task for the WG-DNS: it will be reported when sorted.

  The priority is to have WG-WEB to address the draft site issue, get public comments, organize a webmastering system which will not be worse than Joop's (anyone taking over as a webmaster will be confronted to the dilemn: either to be a tyrant to keep some order and personal time control or a dedicated professional with some real personal/financial motivations).

  jfc