Fwd: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Our New Name Isn't...

Hi all,

I guess you must see this. I would urge you all to ignore the remarks about Jeff Williams, since thats not the poin tof this message. I guess its more or less agreed that we dont want too much bandwidth being eaten up by the Great Williams Debate Marathon (to which i add while i say this).

I smell a rat re the domain name issue. Myself being technically challenged in this regard, could someone competent on this group have a look at these remarks and report back to the group?

Regards,

Hari Gopal.

Note: Forwarded message attached

-- Orignal Message --

To: harivijapur@rediffmail.com
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Our New Name Isn't...

---
Hari Gopal,
NLSIU, Bangalore, India.
Phone: +91 98452 44115
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Hari, I'm not on the list due to netkooks like
Jeff Williams, as I know from long experience
that anything with him involved is destined for
failure (note ICANN has just killed the GA, he
bears the responsibility for that more than any
other individual, although ICANN would have killed
it anyway), but I do follow atlarge lists via
the web. If you visit ICANNWatch I'm 'fnord' there.

Regarding your query here:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0210/msg00067.html

Due to the non-universality of registrars' WHOIS,
it is best to query the actual registrar. Both
NetSol's web WHOIS query and a direct port 43
query return...

----
Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: ICANNATLARGE.ORG
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS1.PCODE.COM
   Name Server: NS1.CODELOCAL.COM
   Updated Date: 29-sep-2002

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:56:06 EDT <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

Domain not found locally, but Registry points back to local DB.
Local WHOIS DB must be out of date.

-----

That last part may mean the domain is about to
be dropped (that is the message one gets in such
situations). If so, it may just be an internal
netsol/verisign drop to correct an error (which
Jefsey says it had due to netsol, though I couldn't
figure that out). But until recently Jefsey was
listed as the registrant. I have a copy of that
WHOIS query somewhere and will look up if it has
reached its expiry date. If so, perhaps then it
will be picked up by a pr0n site, or perhaps the
atlarge can use snapnames etc. to get it back. :)

What the WHOIS shows is that there is a registry
listing but not a registrar listing, and that
the *registrant* is netsol. This could be due to
other things than a drop (possibly a transfer?),
but it means that the name is, if anything, likely
even further from being turned over to the atlarge
panel than previously presumed. The nameservers do
still point to Jefsey's baliwick but that is near
meaningless at the moment. Face it, the name is
tainted goods.

Regardless, not that anyone asked me, but I'd
suggest that the panel OK the vote of the
membership and then call a new vote on a new
name given the circumstances. I know this is
wonky, but it strikes me as the best of a bad
lot of options given the long, and getting
longer, list of problems with that name.

As this is now two domain names in a row with
problems, I'd also suggest the atlarge get its act
together very quickly if it wishes to be taken
seriously with regard to even just the D*N*S,
which is only one part of ICANN's ambit. I don't
care if icannatlarge has 1000 or a million members,
if none of them have such a basic understanding,
then even anti-ICANNites like myself will ignore
it as a large clump of netkooks.

And if I was paranoid, or even just prudently
suspicious, I'd wonder why all these problems
are happening (I've never had such with scores
of functioning names over the years), and why
they are happening at such a crucial time. If
this atlarge effort dies, there won't be another.
It would be foolish, and entirely atypical, for
ICANN's puppetmasters not to be using agents
provocateur at this juncture.

Feel free to pass this on or not, as, when, and
where you see fit. Cheers, -g

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.

"Free price comparison tool gives you the best prices and cash back!"
http://www.bestbuyfinder.com/download.htm

--- End Message ---