[atlarge-discuss] WG-DNS - icann at large names.

On 17:52 03/10/02, Hans Klein said:
There may be technical reasons for this.
More importantly, the name is the private property of an individual, which makes it difficult for this organization to implement it.
Dear all,
I am back at my desk for a short hour. There is another life than "icannatlarge".
I am quite disapointed with the mails I read...

OK. This mail will be final on the matter.

1. icannatlarge.org was registered a long ago - should be renewed begining of the year. It was mismanaged by NSI when they purchased my registrar (I partner in several accounts for 2500 DNs). Chuck Gomez and Verisign London helped but icannatlarge.org was restored on an individual account with a fine time my price we disagreed over. They had to corect that and restore it in my account at proper price. Now the password does not work. Verisign Customer Support does not respond and I am fed up to spend time calling from abroad to listen their apologies for the delay.

May be Versign put it on hold? Could someone help in calling Verisign for free from the USA?

2. I reported many time that icannatlarge.org had problems, as I reported that we owned atlarge.ws. And that we had to have a formal agrrement on atlarge.org before proceeding.

None of these infromations were put on a ballot I opposed. But the vote went through.
I certainly dislike the result of the vote, but here it is and we are to respect it.

3. the names servers associated wih icannatlarge.org are two nameservers I do not use anymore. I still have control on them, but I cannot set them fully properly due to my automated DNS management system. They now resolve correctly through nslookups. We will see later if they propagate. I am properly surprised at the number of Members who forget that DNS involves propagation delays ...

4. The other names I own are resolving properly and will be reset to the host IP address the WG-WEB will decide. This concerns the following addresses:

ICANN-ATLARGE.ORG Registration 01-26-2001 01-26-2003
ICANN-AT-LARGE.COM Registration 02-28-2002 02-28-2003
ICANN-AT-LARGE.NET Registration 02-28-2002 02-28-2003
ICANN-AT-LARGE.ORG Registration 02-28-2002 02-28-2003
ICANN-ATLARGE.COM Registration 02-27-2002 02-27-2003
ICANN-ATLARGE.NET Registration 02-27-2002 02-27-2003
ATLARGE.WS.

These domain names are directly or indirectly owned by france@large, the French @large organization I chair. It is an incorporated @large structure (the first one). It proposed the icannatlarge.org name before Joop hurried in creating icannatalrge.com.

A part fomr the impossiblity to transfer domain names to a non identity such as the "panel" its BoD has no intent to transfer the ownership of any domain name to any other organization than an incorporated ICANNATLARGE organization in which france@large will be acknowledged as such. Because it was the terms of its nitial offer.

5. the mails I received do confirm the need of a WG-DNS.working outside of any pressure. It will operate as follows :

- all the domain names related to @large operations will be under the control of the WG-DNS

- that WG-DNS includes today Joey and me. We will propose one or two others to join.

- the members will be entrusted the maximum information to manage the names and the name servers as we may organize them. In particular we will look for independent name servers.

- they will also be entrusted the names and passwords to create free sites and mailing lists for local and specialized atlarge groups (as per Richard's description)

- I will retain control on the names I own and final on the hostng service so I may take over in case of a WG-DNS mismanagment but I am in no way necessary and I cannot delay anything.

- the WG-DNS will produce access to host IP addresses and e-mail servers. It will never load a name on a private name server. The Host Manager will have to support the corresdponding aliases.

- the WG-DNS targets to provide every @large national or specialized group with :

- its DNS host and mail parallel acess as "xx.icannatlarge.org" and "xx.atlarge.ws"
- its Web site with protected/dedicated ftp access
- its mailing list
- in the future its own e-zine and search engine.

6. I renew my request for help. We will be very carefull about the people we will select on a very simple basis: to be able to work efficiently together. The task we undertake is equivalent to a large registrar. If we want to survive it, we need pros, automation, undisputed competence, dedication and good coopeation among us. To that end I may share proprietary tools (that should be replaced by dot-root GPL tools later on).

jfc