Re: [atlarge-discuss] web site

Richard and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Richard Henderson wrote:

> For goodness sakes listen to Jefsey because he's talking good sense - he's
> thinking strategically and looking ahead in terms of structure and
> procedures for operation.
>
> As for icannatlarge.org - it's "On Hold" and it's pretty clear NSI has put
> it on hold.

  This is untrue.  ICANNATLARGE.ORG is not on hold, but has
a misconfigured Name server therefore is not resolvable presently.
See the following:
Domain Name: ICANNATLARGE.ORG
                    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
                    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
                    Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
                    Name Server: NS1.PCODE.COM
                    Name Server: NS1.CODELOCAL.COM
                    Updated Date: 29-sep-2002

                 >>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:58:06 EDT
<<<

                 The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG,
.EDU                domains and Registrars.

                 Domain not found locally, but Registry points back to local DB.

                 Local WHOIS DB must be out of date.

===========

> I maintain that the best way forward is to adopt the second
> place name www.atlarge.org which is hopefully active and readily accessible.
> It also represents a non-icann name which I believe the majority of people
> originally opted for.
>
> What is needed is a clarification from the membership as to whether they
> want "ICANN" in our name, and whether they would be prepared to adopt
> www.atlarge.org as a best practical way forward.

  The DN ATLARGE.ORG is already registered to Mark Schniders,
See:
Registrant:
                  Venster
                  Laan van Vollenhove 1733
                  Zeist,  3706 GH
                  NL

                  Domain Name: ATLARGE.ORG

                  Administrative Contact:
                     Schneiders, Marc  marc@schneiders.org
                     Laan van Vollenhove 1733
                     Zeist,  3706 GH
                     NL
                     31 30 6992825

                  Technical Contact:
                     Schneiders, Marc  domadmin@venster.nl
                     Treublaan 14
                     Zeist, Utrecht 3705 CZ
                     NL
                     +31 30 6992825
                     Fax: +31 30 6990151
==========================

  Has he at any time mad it clear that he will turn this Domain name over
to the members without conditions?  As far as I know he hasn't.
Hence choosing that DN would be a mistake up-front without knowing
that he would.

> This name is neater in terms of the structure and strategy which Jefsey
> agrees to set in place if we wish.
>
> All I'm asking is an immediate review of the status of icannatlarge.org
> (currently locked and on hold)

  No it is not on hold it has a misconfigured Name server.

> and a simple YES or NO vote ... not to
> overturn democracy, but to clarify democracy... if people vote "YES" we
> would prefer to have a name without ICANN in it, then THAT'S not
> anti-democratic... that becomes the democratic will of the membership in an
> evolving and fluid situation, with new details coming to light

  What new details are you referring to?  Be specific AND accurate please.

> When people voted for icannatlarge.org, they did not have full information
> on the ballot (as Jefsey has pointed out)... indeed I think most of us had
> not fully realised that icannatlarge.org was "off the rails" ...

  It is not off the rails.  It has a simple misconfigured Name server as the
Whois data I listed above clearly indicates.

> So please grasp the structural vision Jefsey has set out... and please
> consider a simple, YES or NO, clarifying vote on whether to have the
> despicable icann name in our name!

  Here inlies the real crux of your argument.  You don't like having the
string "ICANN" in the DN for our organization.  I happen to agree with you.
But such an argument is hardly a good reason to try to force a reversal
of the vote already taken by our members.