Re: [atlarge-discuss] Our New Name Isn't...

> My biggest problem with using the name that contains ICANN in it is that
> ICANN was given one year to clean up their act by the DoC. Let's assume, a
> really small assumption, that ICANN doesn't clean up their act, and let's
> assume, this time a really big assumption, that the DoC actually does shut
> them down, then we're stuck with a name that means nothing.
>
> Plan on being around even if ICANN isn't, or do you want to tie our fate
> theirs?
>
> Chris McElroy aka NameCritic

I don't follow.

Let us tie our fate to whatever the place is where the fight for democratic
control over the tasks given at present to ICANN may be - with an ICANN after
one more year, of following wherever the struggle for this bottom-up
structure moves. But the struggle is about this structure, not about some philosophy
not related to this real battle.

With the argument you propose, the 1000 people who subscribed might have
said: better do nothing, and surely not subscribe to ICANNatlarge, because we
dont like the present direction of ICANN, and maybe the DoC will stop it
anyway.

Norbert

--
Norbert Klein