[atlarge-discuss] FYI: Ideas on strategy for WSIS lobbying

<< start of forwarded material >>

From: "Peter Benjamin" <peterb@apc.org>
To: wsis-prep1@lists.cpsr.org, Crisinfo@comunica.org,
   wsis-e-consult@vancouvercommunity.net
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:24:34 +0200
Subject: Ideas on strategy for WSIS lobbying

Dear all,

The APC is thinking through a strategy for mobilizing around
WSIS, and I would lik eto ask for advice.

Much of the work of the Civil Society caucus (includign CRIS) is
trying to develop common position and strategy for active NGOs so
that we can lobby in Geneva.

>From seeing the recent World Summit on Sustainable
Development here in Johannesburg, civil society is excluded from
the real action.  This is 'traditional' and almost to be expected - it is
the United NATIONS after all.  Civil society can lobby, and where
they have a strong image/point they can get media coverage.

In WSIS, most countries have little idea of what they should be
proposing.  At PrepCom 1, most countries were not represented,
and few came with prepared positions.  Most countries have little
agreed policy on the Information Society (other than generally
thinking it probably is a good thing).  This, I believe, gives
'progressive civil society' (however we define ourselves) a great
opportunity.  We should actively seek to influence governmental
delegations positions for WSIS, especially for countries of the
South.

This can be done at different levels:
- Sending our position papers to the governmental delegations
- Attempting to create dialogue with governmental delegations
- Where APC or sister organization has direct contacts,
encouraging meetings with governmental delegations
- Where capacity exists, try to get one of 'our people' on the
national delegation to WSIS events
- Directly lobby and work with the regional UN organizations to
develop 'pro-poor' policy for WSIS

The UN formally acts as a consensus organization.  At Summits,
all statements must be agreed by all (where there is disagreement
the clauses are 'bracketed').  To manage the process, regions of
the world tend to act as blocks.  Some as you would expect
(Europe) and other slightly odd configurations (US, Canada, Japan,
New Zealand & Australia).  It is these 'blocks' that tend to be the
main actors in the serious negotiations.  The largest grouping of
developing/Southern/'Majority World' countries is known as the
Group of 77 (confusingly with about 130 members).  I believe we
should work closely with the G77.  If we can engage with them,
support them to develop a coherent policy and have a clear position
understood by their delegates, the position will have a much higher
visibility and chance of success.

Between the organizations involved in the Civil Society caucus, we
can seek to engage many of the national delegations.

To be clear, this is NOT because we think that the main focus
should be on the final document.  Instead, the real work will be in
local processes - encouraging NGOs to engage their national
governments, campaigning for tangible local things with individuals
with names.  Currently, the Civil Society caucus strategy is around
position papers to be sent to Geneva to be 'considered' by
committees of bureaucrats - far removed from local meaningful
action.

I'm unsure how much to work on this.  This could be a huge job.
We have about 15 months to go before WSIS 1 - enough to do
some real action, if we decide fast and act coherently.

If we decide to do something along these lines, below are ideas:
- Find the names & details of official delegates to WSIS
(PrepCom1, September Content & Themes Meeting etc)
- Email contact with all national delegations
- Put out calls through 'our' networks (APC, CRIS, WSF, GCN,
WSIS-Prep, AMARC, PMSA etc) for activists in different countries
who could act as contacts for interaction with governmental
delegations.  Focus on countries of the South.  Use GCN Montreal
October, WSF Porto Alegre January (and others) to train &
coordinate this work.
- Make formal contact with all UN regional bodies
- Especially work with G77 - contact, meetings, support
- Seek out advice from major NGOs active in lobbying UN
(Greenpeace, Amnesty International, Oxfam etc.)
- Develop position papers, guides, training materials
- Possibly have regional contact people in each UN region to
coordinate this work
- Aim to have 'our' people included as experts on several national
delegations
- Training / lobbying / joint position etc. all through 2003 (and
beyond to WSIS 2005).

This certainly can build upon and support the online consultation
being considered by Mike Gurstein and others.

We could develop a network of 'mobilisers' in each region.  Europe
and North America certainly are important, and there are many
activists already there.  The focus for the APC would be on the
developing (majority) world, with diffeent sub-regions:
4 in Africa: Southern, Eastern, Western, Northern.
4 in Asia: South, South-East, East, Central
4 in Latin America & Caribbean: Mercosur, Andes, Caribbean,
Central America

In each of these 12 regions, an individual or organization will be
identified as a 'mobiliser'.  Their role will be to find civil society
organizations in the countries of their region and identify key
people in each country.  Then they will send Internet Rights
information to all interested organizations in their region, and work
to develop training and support for activists in the region.  The
relevant government agency in each country will be identified, and
civil society organizations encouraged to interact with them.

The APC has members in 26 countries, mainly in the South
(majority world).  We have active Internet Rights programmes in
Africa and Latin America & Caribbean, and are setting one up in
Asia.  We would be very glad to hear of other organization
interested in doing similar regional lobbying - especially based in
the South.

Perhaps those who will be going to GCN could discuss this there.

Comments?

Cheers,
Peter

=====================
Peter Benjamin
Communications & Information Policy Programme
Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
Tel:  +27 11 673 0536
Fax:  +27 11 717 3910
Cell: +27 82 829 3353
Email: peter@sn.apc.org
OR:    peterb@apc.org

<< end of forwarded material >>

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>