Re: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Our New Name Isn't...

Right now, what we are trying to do is to represent (or ensure user representation) in the governance of the internet. As long as it is icann that governs (however bad that governance may be) the internet, it makes a lot of sense that we are IcannAtlarge, for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, the way the group has come into being. Secondly, the fact that the first step to net governance reform is Icann reform. Thirdly, we are the successors ('official' or 'outlawed' or otherwise) to the late 'official' IcannAtlarge (or at least that was my understanding when i signed up to be a member). Fourthly, if Icann ceases to exist and we as a group still have a reason to exist, a name change then is always possible (in lighter vein, name changes make more news when a known, older entity does it. for example, The Artiste Formerly Known as The Prince, Cat Stevens, Mercedes Benz, etc.!)

And finally, i like the name IcannAtlarge; i voted for it. I want it there, even if it is simply for sentimental (someone said 'nostalgic') reasons, or for the fact that I (note the change in case, its the ego talking here) voted for it.

Hari Gopal.