Re: [atlarge-discuss] Our New Name Isn't...

Dear Judyth,

thanks for your long and argumentative posting. As I am busy with my regular
"weekend fun" - finalizing the edition of a weekly press review of the Khmer
language press in English - I cannot respond now in detail. But I want to
thank you for bringing this out:

===
> I think there is a real disagreement about fundamentals which is being
>  glossed over. Norbert, you assume we all signed up for this group because
>  it had ICANN in its name and because its fate would be determined by
> ICANN. I know that isn't true for me -- in fact, the opposite!
>
> I signed up because the ICANN mechanism for including the interests of
>  Internet users around the world, flawed as it was, was being abolished.
===

Not because it has the word "ICANN" in its name. But because this group grew
out of the first at-large election campaign trying to get our rightful place
in the ICANN processes - which has been suffocated partly already during the
first election (by accepting only at-large members with Web access and
excluding e-mail only users), and later paralyzing it completely. I joined because
this group, at least, SEEMED (at the beginning) to be taking up this
struggle and continue it.

Since half a year, I see mostly self-inflicted paralysis, by discussing
domain name and name of the organization, and putting the question why do we
exist aside.

Ths Latin American at-large group may be going into a different direction
from where we started together, but they have at least been producing somethig
more than debate about voting rules and how to interpret the results of
votes.

This has really to be discussed and clarified: I cannot see that it is true
that ICANN is being abolished. I am not at all a fan of ICANN as it is, but
our work - here in Cambodia, at the first connection to the Internet which I
created in 1994 from here - is in a lot of day-to-day problems dependent on
ICANN. And I was hoping that the ICANN At-Large movement would help us. Not in
some kind of philosophy or ideals in years, but in what is going on today.

Sorry, I cannot write more now - I really appreciated your posting. It helps
to clarify that there are quite different interests here. I was looking for
solidarity and help in our situation: around the lowest end of the digital
divide, in a regulatory environment here where I am always happy to quote what
the US government wanted ICANN to become, and quite in isolation from a lot
of the lofty ideas and fine details of words pondered in this group - way up
in the clouds compared to our ground zero.

Norbert

--
Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia: www.forum.org.kh