From: <espresso@e-scape.net>
To: <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2002 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Our New Name Isn't...

Hi, Norbert,

I sympathize with the "weekend fun" since I, too, work seven-day weeks and
am typing this reply in the wee hours.

I, too, joined this group -- and its ICANN-owned predecessor -- in the hopes
of doing something constructive for the people on the wrong side of the
digital divide. I, too, am very disappointed in the general lack of common
sense or genuine desire to establish ground-rules and get on with it. No
doubt I've contributed my share to the procedural debate but I don't think
the group will amount to anything at all until the mission and
constitutional processes are determined. Thus far, we seem divided pretty
much down the middle between people who want to *be* ICANN and people who
know what is wrong with ICANN but can't persuade the group to do anything
about it!

I've been involved in "DD" issues both here in Canada and elsewhere, and am
now facing a week in which I need to do a lot of things, including meet with
some Canadian colleagues from across the country and I hope meet some of the
Latin American and African delegates at the Global Conference on Community
Networking, and maybe even get to attend some of the workshops, and create a
Web site (complete with content, buying a domain name, etc.) for the Green
Party of Haiti which is just beginning to organize and incorporate.

I've decided that if over the next week there are no concrete steps taken
towards becoming a viable organization, I will simply chalk it up to
experience and withdraw to give the time to some more promising project.

Anyway, perhaps if you can find the time to explain to me what kinds of
problems ICANN is causing you in Cambodia, I could try to find somebody who
can do something useful about it. At the very least, I could help publicize
the difficulties you're having and try to persuade some of my contacts to
write letters on your behalf.

Keep up the good work!

Judyth

--

At 17:57 +0200 2002/10/05, Norbert Klein wrote:

>Dear Judyth,
>
>thanks for your long and argumentative posting. As I am busy with my
regular
>"weekend fun" - finalizing the edition of a weekly press review of the
Khmer
>language press in English - I cannot respond now in detail. But I want to
>thank you for bringing this out:

[snip]

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>